Bristol

Tour dates, reviews, meetups, live photos...

Re: Bristol

Postby iddsy » 14th Dec 11, 13:01

oh dear,a bit of reaction from last night going on at twitter at the moment :(
iddsy

Postby blackdeathcrew » 14th Dec 11, 13:06

Always sad to read negative stuff like this.... :(
ImageImage
blackdeathcrew

Postby Jimmerbee » 14th Dec 11, 13:07

I don't want to talk badly about Ginger as he clearly had something on his mind and wasn't having the best evening but I feel it necessary to defend the guy who stage dived. It's a rock gig, he was doing exactly what Ginger had asked of the crowd and was having a bloody good time! For those who have always stood at the back with their hands in their pockets and not got evolved at the front, once you have been lifted up by a crowd, you have NO control over where they send you and how you land. If you must blame anyone, blame whoever duumped him on the monitor speaker and bruised his back. For those who were watching carefully, it was not actually the crowd surfer who hurt the roadie (hope you're ok man) but other reasons. The crowd surfer helped right the stand and handed the mike back to Ginger and the song continued, he left the stage as quickly as he could having appologised to Ginger. The song was stopped after the equipment issue was rectified and I believe on a different occasion Ginger would have considered an incident like this to be rock and roll and a good gig. Anyway, hope you're feeling better today Ginger and that you have a better time next gig. I hope we weren't the worst crowd. I for one was having a great time until it all went pear-shaped. J
Jimmerbee

Postby joelwreford » 14th Dec 11, 13:29

If he keeps talking to the people who buy his tickets and music the way he is at the moment on Twitter, he's gonna lose a lot of fans quick. Years of respect quickly being lost.
joelwreford

Postby tomarnold » 14th Dec 11, 13:36

First time poster here, only heard of these boards after the singer in exit_international mentioned them at the Bristol gig last night, though have been following the band live since the mid 90's or so.

I've got to say a lot of the reaction online from people who were there seems misplaced from the view I had of what went on. On the point above, a good crowdsurfer has a lot of control over where they're going once lifted up. The bloke last night (who was one of two crowdsurfers I think) was far from being a good crowdsurfer. If he was he'd have seen that the crowd density was too low, the space was too cramped, and there was no gap between the band and crowd. Basically, the fleece is a shit venue for crowdsurfing, and always has been, so best not do it there.

Back in the day the Fleece used to have stage minders for the more hectic gigs, old skool hardcore punks who would kick seven shades out of anyone getting close to the stage and looking like they were about to bring everything crashing down. I guess these guys have moved on as the Fleece has changed hands over the years, leaving roadies to cover such work.

So, on the one hand, you're a dick for trying to surf at the Fleece, and watching this guy try it was kind of embarrassing at times, and people kept dropping him cos he was too heavy, or just moving out of the way when he came near. Everyone could see the surfing wasn't really working, and he should have stopped.

On the other hand, I can perfectly understand Ginger's reaction too. He's said he's a bit up and down about touring at the moment, and is really missing his family and kids. He seemed almost tearful when he came on for the encore, like he wasn't really sure he wanted to be there, and the band looked nervous about how he was too. I'm not sure the people shouting 'ginger you alky' when he was drinking would have helped his mood either, along with that 'come on you geordie cunt' to get him back onstage.

He seemed to pick himself up during the encore though, and was just enjoying a celebratory ending with one of his biggest crowd pleasers when some twat wipes out his microphone and guitar pedals, and leaves his roadie with a face dripping with blood. Regardless of how exactly that happened, the fact is it wouldn't have happened if nob boy hadn't been trying to surf so badly.

I get the feeling Ginger wasn't entirely 100% about being there at times, but was putting everything into giving Bristol a brilliant final show for a while, when some moron brings everything to a standstill by wiping out ginger's mic and pedals. Then to find that people are calling him a diva for it, well no wonder he's fucked off with it all. I know I would be.
tomarnold

Postby iddsy » 14th Dec 11, 13:41

thanks for a more indepth view on what went on,i just hope all this negative reaction and shit dosent just make the man turn round and say fuck it!! and cancel all the remainding shows :cry:
iddsy

Postby blackdeathcrew » 14th Dec 11, 13:43

tomarnold wrote:First time poster here, only heard of these boards after the singer in exit_international mentioned them at the Bristol gig last night, though have been following the band live since the mid 90's or so.

I've got to say a lot of the reaction online from people who were there seems misplaced from the view I had of what went on. On the point above, a good crowdsurfer has a lot of control over where they're going once lifted up. The bloke last night (who was one of two crowdsurfers I think) was far from being a good crowdsurfer. If he was he'd have seen that the crowd density was too low, the space was too cramped, and there was no gap between the band and crowd. Basically, the fleece is a shit venue for crowdsurfing, and always has been, so best not do it there.

Back in the day the Fleece used to have stage minders for the more hectic gigs, old skool hardcore punks who would kick seven shades out of anyone getting close to the stage and looking like they were about to bring everything crashing down. I guess these guys have moved on as the Fleece has changed hands over the years, leaving roadies to cover such work.

So, on the one hand, you're a dick for trying to surf at the Fleece, and watching this guy try it was kind of embarrassing at times, and people kept dropping him cos he was too heavy, or just moving out of the way when he came near. Everyone could see the surfing wasn't really working, and he should have stopped.

On the other hand, I can perfectly understand Ginger's reaction too. He's said he's a bit up and down about touring at the moment, and is really missing his family and kids. He seemed almost tearful when he came on for the encore, like he wasn't really sure he wanted to be there, and the band looked nervous about how he was too. I'm not sure the people shouting 'ginger you alky' when he was drinking would have helped his mood either, along with that 'come on you geordie cunt' to get him back onstage.

He seemed to pick himself up during the encore though, and was just enjoying a celebratory ending with one of his biggest crowd pleasers when some twat wipes out his microphone and guitar pedals, and leaves his roadie with a face dripping with blood. Regardless of how exactly that happened, the fact is it wouldn't have happened if nob boy hadn't been trying to surf so badly.

I get the feeling Ginger wasn't entirely 100% about being there at times, but was putting everything into giving Bristol a brilliant final show for a while, when some moron brings everything to a standstill by wiping out ginger's mic and pedals. Then to find that people are calling him a diva for it, well no wonder he's fucked off with it all. I know I would be.

This ^^ :clap:
ImageImage
blackdeathcrew

Postby Jimmerbee » 14th Dec 11, 13:58

joelwreford wrote:If he keeps talking to the people who buy his tickets and music the way he is at the moment on Twitter, he's gonna lose a lot of fans quick. Years of respect quickly being lost.

Hi Joel, im not on Twitter, is Ginger still pissed about last night? I was expecting him to be a bit embarrassed about his comments last night.
Jimmerbee

Postby Damian » 14th Dec 11, 14:07

tomarnold wrote:First time poster here, only heard of these boards after the singer in exit_international mentioned them at the Bristol gig last night, though have been following the band live since the mid 90's or so.

This is a very measured take on the whole thing. Cheers. Stick around.
Damian

Postby Ross » 14th Dec 11, 14:13

Oh dear. It does seem like 'bad Ginger' has been let out of the bag. I hope it passes, but he's not coming across well on Twitter at all.

Can someone find Ginger and give him a big ol hug. I think he needs one...
Ross

Postby James S » 14th Dec 11, 14:27

Jimmerbee wrote:I don't want to talk badly about Ginger as he clearly had something on his mind and wasn't having the best evening but I feel it necessary to defend the guy who stage dived. It's a rock gig, he was doing exactly what Ginger had asked of the crowd and was having a bloody good time! For those who have always stood at the back with their hands in their pockets and not got evolved at the front, once you have been lifted up by a crowd, you have NO control over where they send you and how you land. If you must blame anyone, blame whoever duumped him on the monitor speaker and bruised his back. For those who were watching carefully, it was not actually the crowd surfer who hurt the roadie (hope you're ok man) but other reasons. The crowd surfer helped right the stand and handed the mike back to Ginger and the song continued, he left the stage as quickly as he could having appologised to Ginger. The song was stopped after the equipment issue was rectified and I believe on a different occasion Ginger would have considered an incident like this to be rock and roll and a good gig. Anyway, hope you're feeling better today Ginger and that you have a better time next gig. I hope we weren't the worst crowd. I for one was having a great time until it all went pear-shaped. J

No No No. It wasn't you and you're trying to justify it are you? It was solely the irresponsible actions of the so called crowd surfer. It was his choice to do it and he fucked up the end of the gig for everyone there, on and off the stage. It wasn't him who hit the roadie in the face but it was a direct result of his actions that caused it to happen. Ginger and Dunc have been doing this gig for long enough to know where each other is on stage. That is unless there is a prick standing in front of you waving wildly and trampling on your gear. Yes, I thought some of Gingers comments were a little ott during the set but they are his opinion and I respect him for his truthfulness even if they were laid on a bit thick, and his responses on Twitter possibly aren't the most politic. However I'd probably be pissed off if people were demanding their money back off me when I'd played a full gig bar one minute of mostly crowd participation. They should possibly grow the fuck up.
James S

Postby Rancidpunk_76 » 14th Dec 11, 14:29

Sorry, i gotta disagree. Ginger was obviously not enjoying the tour (from what he said) and it didn't seem to matter that the Fleece was reasonbly full up with enthusiastic and vocal fans.

It was sad to see him complain about the people at the back/on the sides for not dancing enough. People show their appreciation in different ways y'know? I, for one, was dancing like a loon down the front.

The crowd surfer situation was simply an accident, he wasn't trying to get on stage but found himself dumped up there. I was front and centre (now, i could be wrong) but it seemed to me that when the roadie stepped in to remove the crowd surfer he connected with Gingers guitar - thus resulting in the knock to the head and blood spillage. I was dancing and a little tiddly so, as i said, don't take that as gospel - was just what i thought happened.

All in all, if Ginger had been in a better headspace maybe he would've acted differently. Sadly, it did end what was an ACE setlist with a rather bum note.

So, what's Ginger saying on twitter? I'm not on it so would appreciate being filled in :)
Rancidpunk_76

Postby WiredOut » 14th Dec 11, 14:35

Yikes, you try giving him a hug by all means, Ross. Right now I'd rather climb into the nearest lion enclosure with my bollocks smeared in zebra pate. ;)

Nah, seriously it's a pity this has happened, whatever the reasons. I was hoping he could start a sabbatical from touring with fond memories, to raise the chances of his returning before too long.

I do think he's been pushing himself very hard for the last couple of years. Seems like he's been touring a lot more regularly than he used to, in one form or another. Then there's the triple album behemoth, the Monroe management frustrations and split, the 'TFE' disaster, missing his family etc. And maybe, if I may say, there's just the fact of getting older. The guy's got a lot of energy for one his age but it's an exhausting game even for folk in their twenties.

So maybe it was almost inevitable that something would give in some form?
'C'mon, make me feel like me.'
WiredOut

Postby Ross » 14th Dec 11, 14:42

Zebra pate! Made me lol!

I think you're right, it's been one hell of a busy year, full of frustrations, and also good stuff. I guess we at Wolves will have to remind the man of the good stuff...
Ross

Postby Egg4Goff » 14th Dec 11, 14:47

If we're to judge Ginger by his comments on Twitter then his tweets about the tour up to last night were really positive.
He seemed to love the Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle and Leeds gigs, the weirdness of the Norwich crowd and even the excellence of the dressing room in Norwich. He shows concern about the fainting fans at Southampton. He says that he couldn't hope for better a better band, bill or crowds.
This does not sound like someone who has not enjoyed the tour so far and from what we saw at Leeds, he was having an absolute ball.
He only started bitching about Bristol once people started laying into him about their lost minute.
In the interest of balance I wasn't there last night so can't comment on what happened with the particular incidents of the night and what he was like before the crowd surfer thing.
Let's give the guy a break; he's worked non-stop for ages now and we're the lucky ones to have benfitted.
Egg4Goff

PreviousNext

Return to Ginger Live