The Cardiacs

General music banter. Gigs, reviews, new bands...

The Cardiacs

Postby seventieslord » 10th Sep 09, 23:53

I've heard some stuff by The Cardiacs (Sing To God) and I really, really like it. I want to buy all their albums. How do I go about this?

Based on their wikipedia entry, There is apparently a ton of stuff to get. I like to get the actual albums (not just download) but in this case it appears that their stuff is out of print and has become rare. I went to their website but it appears that their online store is temporarily closed. No idea how long it's been closed, and, if it reopens, are all those CDs that say "out of stock" going to be in stock? Judging by the rarity and online prices at places like amazon, ebay, and gemm, I'm thinking no. Any advice?
seventieslord

Postby shadow » 11th Sep 09, 00:08

i aint no expert on it but i do like Cardiacs a lot........a host of problems with Cardiacs at the moment and its sadly down to a really serious stroke/heart problem suffered by their mainstay Tim Smith.
i believe The Alphabet Business Concern which is the record label and distribution centre(i think) is run from the great mans house....though i stand to be corrected.if i am right then it would explain problems with supply.
whatever the situation is i personally hope Tim makes a full and as speedy as possible recovery
shadow

Postby lob » 11th Sep 09, 17:15

Yup, as Shadow says everything is on hold due to Tim's illness. Up to you but I wouldn't pay the (frankly disgusting) rip-off prices asked by Amazon and Ebay resellers as they are just taking advantage of the great man's problems.

Take a look at the Alphabet Business Concern website and the Cardiacs Fan Myspace, there appears to be hope that someone may soon take over distribution and albums will appear at sensible prices where the artists themselves get same cash. Like you I came late to their music and I was poised to make a major 'round up' purchase of CD's shortly before the fateful day but in the meantime I have bought the sensible priced stuff and now live in hope of A) Tim getting better and B) the albums becoming available.

Seeing the Cardiacs live at the Astoria was one of the most thrilling musical experiences of my life, I just wish that there was a DVD available so that I could not only relive it myself but so I could sit people in front of it and say "this is how good it can be".

I have spoken to both Cardiacs fans and people who have worked with Tim and (as per the song on Chutzpah) everyone loved him. I managed a reasonably long chat with him at a Ginger solo gig and he struck me as (to coin an old hippy phrase) a truly beautiful guy.
Now available in new Grandad format
lob

Postby shadow » 12th Sep 09, 00:03

i second what lob says about Cardiacs at the Astoria......unique experience
i too have talked to Tim .....lovely, lovely man
shadow

Re: The Cardiacs

Postby seventieslord » 5th Jan 11, 08:44

over a year later, store's still closed. I'm losing faith. :roll:
seventieslord

Postby Stuart Brackpool » 5th Jan 11, 17:59

The shop has been out of action for a while and it may be for some time yet. I wouldn't pay the disgusting prices some secondhand sellers are charging (I do wonder if anyone pays these prices) and I understand your desire to have the proper physical product but, if your curiosity is strong and unabated, pay for the download of Heaven Born And Ever Bright. It's a thing of wonder.

If anyone knows where there's a reasonably priced copy of The Sea Nymphs album, please let me know.
Stuart Brackpool

Postby vickyp » 5th Jan 11, 23:41

There is also the Tim Smith tribute album which came out recently, I think a lot of effort has been put into this as all sales go towards helping Tim. I know it's not the Cardiacs themselves, but these tracks have been done with love and much effort from bands who are massive fans themselves. Worth checking out if you want to plug that gap.
More info here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5555
Buy CD 1 + 2 here:
http://www.thegenepool.co.uk/artists/Va ... rtists.htm
Zorro won't build me a time machine
vickyp

Postby blackdeathcrew » 4th Feb 11, 16:50

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/feb/03/cardiacs-tim-smith-stroke-tribute-album

Write-up about the cardiacs tribute album here.
I hadn't realised quite how ill Tim was until I read this :(
ImageImage
blackdeathcrew

Return to Other Bands and Music