GnR at Reading/ Leeds

General music banter. Gigs, reviews, new bands...

Re: GnR at Reading/ Leeds

Postby Damian » 5th Sep 10, 16:44

There can be no excuses for Axl's behaviour. None. Anyone indulging it should be stopped at once. I wish that Melvyn Benn (organiser of the Reading/Leeds Festival) wasn't such a nice guy and would call them out for what they were. He might as well, it's not like they're going to come back.
Damian

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 6th Sep 10, 20:37

I totally agree, Axl is a complete dickhead and has no respect for his audience. It's not like it's the 80s and they are some drug- fuelled rock 'n' roll band that you can expect to be a shambles it's just cos Axl is a prick and thinks the world revolves around him.

I don't know why anyone pays to see this version of Guns N Roses really. If i was a muscian I'd be ashamed to stand up on stage under the name Guns N Roses when I had nothing to do with any of their decent music.
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Postby markE » 7th Sep 10, 10:34

Jason_scorching_past wrote:I totally agree, Axl is a complete dickhead and has no respect for his audience. It's not like it's the 80s and they are some drug- fuelled rock 'n' roll band that you can expect to be a shambles it's just cos Axl is a prick and thinks the world revolves around him.

I don't know why anyone pays to see this version of Guns N Roses really. If i was a muscian I'd be ashamed to stand up on stage under the name Guns N Roses when I had nothing to do with any of their decent music.

really? you would turn down the opportunity to play in front of hundreds of thousands of people, earn shed loads of money and live the dream of being a rock star because you didn't create any of the original songs? thats some pretty impressive principles you've got there :eek:
the lateness issue aside i think its fair enough what they are doing. people are obviously enjoying the gigs or they would not go. its not that different to all the other bands playing the circuit with less and less of the original members.
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby beerofthedark » 7th Sep 10, 16:09

markE wrote:really? you would turn down the opportunity to play in front of hundreds of thousands of people, earn shed loads of money and live the dream of being a rock star because you didn't create any of the original songs? thats some pretty impressive principles you've got there :eek:
the lateness issue aside i think its fair enough what they are doing. people are obviously enjoying the gigs or they would not go. its not that different to all the other bands playing the circuit with less and less of the original members.

Ha! That was my exact reaction too! I have no principles whatsoever :twisted:

As for seeing the sad remains of a once-great band, I do get the impression that a lot of people are going along to see the freakshow, not listen to the music.
"I have a barrel of opinions
lonely, lonely
I am everlone, everlone"
beerofthedark

Postby Jason_scorching_past » 7th Sep 10, 18:43

markE wrote:
really? you would turn down the opportunity to play in front of hundreds of thousands of people, earn shed loads of money and live the dream of being a rock star because you didn't create any of the original songs? thats some pretty impressive principles you've got there :eek:

Well I said I would be ashamed, not necessarily that I wouldn't do it ;P . If I was comfortably well off I would say no and I don’t see what’s so great about playing in front of hundreds of thousands of people if they aren’t there to see you. I’d say the majority of the audience are only there to see Axl Rose and hear Sweet Child, November Rain etc. I don't think the other musicians are living the dream of being a rock star being in Guns N Roses, that's just making a living off someone else's legacy.

I agree it’s not that different to other bands that only have the odd original member. I don't really see the appeal in seeing them either. I think a band is more than just the songs.
Or you make some kind of robot to get us help, or a homing device, or build a new battery..
Jason_scorching_past

Postby Damian » 7th Sep 10, 19:05

Axl has every right to create a version of GnR, that's fair enough even though it does nowt for me. BUT I'm just waiting for someone to justify his lateness, and subsequent handling of it, as "rock and roll" so I can launch into a massive rant. Anyone?
Damian

Postby Stuart Brackpool » 7th Sep 10, 22:26

Ooh, I do love a good rant.

Damian, it's all just rock 'n' roll!

Ok, rant away..!
Stuart Brackpool

Postby benwalton » 7th Sep 10, 23:13

Damian: Here is Sebastian Bach (you know, the greatest intellectual thinker of the 1980s :hmmm: ) justifying Axl's lateness...

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/uncategori ... continues/
and just last week as i was clearing shit from off my shelf...
benwalton

Postby Trixi » 8th Sep 10, 19:27

I'm amazed Bach said something because I thought his lips were glued to Axl's ass. :hmmm:
Everything I say can, will, and always is being used against me.
Trixi

Postby benwalton » 8th Sep 10, 20:09

Trixi wrote:I'm amazed Bach said something because I thought his lips were glued to Axl's ass. :hmmm:

BOOM. :clap: you win lol
and just last week as i was clearing shit from off my shelf...
benwalton

Postby Damian » 9th Sep 10, 23:00

:D

Actually, it's not really a rant, it's just a series of prosaic facts. I've briefly seen the behind-the-scenes side of the Reading Festival and I know one thing: they treat all bands, from the main stage headliners to bands at the bottom of the smaller stages, really well. And it is run like clockwork. It's very simple: bands get told what time they're on, what time the previous band is on, what the changeover time is and how long they've got. Bands playing at the top of the bill are nicely informed that Reading Festival doesn't set the licensing laws, the councils do, and therefore they can't play later than a certain time. All this is made clear way in advance of the event, so they know exactly what the deal is, and frankly you'd have to be something of a simpleton not to understand basic instructions. So one of the two scenarios below is true... either:

a) Mean Fiddler accidentally forgot for the first time to tell a band, specifically G'n'R, all of this, or
b) Axl and/or people in his entourage are being downright deceitful or downright thick

And let's not forget that the massive fee they get is paid for by people who spent a fortune on tickets. All the poor little possums have to do is get on stage on time, play their set to the people paying their wages, and get off again.
Damian

Postby vickyp » 10th Sep 10, 00:04

Damian wrote:Bands playing at the top of the bill are nicely informed that Reading Festival doesn't set the licensing laws, the councils do, and therefore they can't play later than a certain time. All this is made clear way in advance of the event, so they know exactly what the deal is

All this will have been made very clear in the contract that will have been signed probably up to a year in advance of the actual event. They wouldn't have been added to the bill had they not agreed to certain terms and conditions. However, Axl not only thinks he's so important he can keep everyone waiting just for him, he also thinks his band are more important than the entire Reading/Leeds Festival and therefore no one will mind if he puts their licence in jeopardy. I think Melvin Benn made it clear that that sort of behaviour wouldn't be tolerated, but Axl never thought anyone would dare pull the plug on him. Wrong!

Damian wrote:And let's not forget that the massive fee they get is paid for by people who spent a fortune on tickets. All the poor little possums have to do is get on stage on time, play their set to the people paying their wages, and get off again.

Amen. And yet they still mess everyone about, and are shocked when someone dares to stand up to them. Both sides of this knew what they were getting into, and booking Gn'R for the festival still generated ticket sales, pre-event publicity and hype and then loads of press coverage after the inevitable happens. Job done. So what if they don't come back?
Melvin Benn 2, Axl 0.
Zorro won't build me a time machine
vickyp

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 11th Sep 10, 19:59

vickyp wrote:So what if they don't come back?
Exactly. Who gives a shit - the festival doesn't need them and will sell out next year regardless. I expect some other promoter may take a chance and book them for something, and the gullible will again turn up to be sold short and insulted by Axl's behaviour as usual. More fool them for encouraging his behaviour by putting up with it. :evil:
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Previous

Return to Other Bands and Music