d generation - london borderline

General music banter. Gigs, reviews, new bands...

Re: d generation - london borderline

Postby markE » 5th Sep 11, 13:05

see you there guys?

EM should be on 8.00 ish, so i will be going straight in. see you down the front ( which is also the back, this venue is so small!!)

pm me if anyone needs a spare ticket.
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby markE » 8th Sep 11, 13:03

what did you think then guys?
i ended up going on my own, didn't see anyone that i knew ( did you make it Sarc?) but still had an absolute blast.
The Eureka machines were brilliant, despite Chris having a problem with his voice. Pure entertainment. the Freddie Mecury tribute seemed to fall a bit flat with the crowd but still...
i had a bit of a chat with the guitarist at the merch stand after their set and he seemed a really nice guy.

D Generation were awesome, although the stage barely managed to hold them!!At one point Jesse was sitting on the bar, toasting the band. Guitar work was outstanding and mr Malin certainly is an energetic frontman. My fave track was closer No Way Out but She Stands there was awasome too as was Capital offender.
markE

Postby lob » 8th Sep 11, 13:54

Top night out, as with all gigs nowadays it suffered from some peoples idea that you should arrive 30 seconds before the headliners go on stage. The first band up Krakatoa (the name needs some work imho)were ok too, bit of a clash punk/reggae thing in some songs. From sarf lahndan I believe.

The EM's were top as usual but all apart from Wayne were suffering, Chris with his voice, Dave is still getting over his hernia op (not sure he should jump about like that yet) and Pete had done his thumb in (not good for a bassist). Spoke to them all they had fun but had to drive straight back to Leeds.

Didn't know anything about D Generation but they turned in a bloody good set, although I think Jesse Malin probably regretted trying to stand up on the bar of the Borderline, he nearly took out the lights. I suppose I am going to have to search out some CD's now...
Now available in new Grandad format
lob

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 11th Sep 11, 13:10

lob wrote:as with all gigs nowadays it suffered from some peoples idea that you should arrive 30 seconds before the headliners go on stage.
Could this be because of many venue's current bar prices? :eh: I think some people want to spend as little time in the actual venue as possible because of this and prefer to drink somewhere nearby that's cheaper before and after the show instead of battling to get served at overpriced venue bars while the band is playing. Just a thought... :hmmm:
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Postby lob » 12th Sep 11, 13:18

I am with you there your Lordship, the price and quality of drinks at venues is appalling, and I have definitely changed my drinking habits as a result. I have a theory that choice/price is somehow linked to the size of the company managing the venue, the O2 venues now have virtually nothing I would want to put in my body but independent places like the Brudenell in Leeds, the Mars Bar in Worcester and Talking Heads in Southampton make a real effort.

I was just wondering whether some people think watching the support band is somehow beneath them. It seems more of a problem in London but Oxford has been getting worse for it lately and I can't help but feel for a band knocking themselves to entertain a half empty room only for it to fill to capacity ten minutes after they finish.
Now available in new Grandad format
lob

Postby markE » 13th Sep 11, 10:32

http://www.uberrock.co.uk/gig-reviews/1 ... -2011.html

great review from someone who obviously enjoyed the gig . "sex wee" :oops:
markE

Postby markE » 13th Sep 11, 10:37

lob wrote:I am with you there your Lordship, the price and quality of drinks at venues is appalling, and I have definitely changed my drinking habits as a result. I have a theory that choice/price is somehow linked to the size of the company managing the venue, the O2 venues now have virtually nothing I would want to put in my body but independent places like the Brudenell in Leeds, the Mars Bar in Worcester and Talking Heads in Southampton make a real effort.

I was just wondering whether some people think watching the support band is somehow beneath them. It seems more of a problem in London but Oxford has been getting worse for it lately and I can't help but feel for a band knocking themselves to entertain a half empty room only for it to fill to capacity ten minutes after they finish.

i know waht you mean but sometimes its other reasons, such as being unable to get to the venue any sooner, especially on a "workday". by the time i get in from work, get the kids and babysitters sorted and get on a train i am lucky to get to a venue for 8.00. which is usually about right to see the second support band.
markE

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 18th Sep 11, 20:36

markE wrote:
lob wrote:I am with you there your Lordship, the price and quality of drinks at venues is appalling, and I have definitely changed my drinking habits as a result. I have a theory that choice/price is somehow linked to the size of the company managing the venue, the O2 venues now have virtually nothing I would want to put in my body but independent places like the Brudenell in Leeds, the Mars Bar in Worcester and Talking Heads in Southampton make a real effort.

i know waht you mean but sometimes its other reasons, such as being unable to get to the venue any sooner, especially on a "workday". by the time i get in from work, get the kids and babysitters sorted and get on a train i am lucky to get to a venue for 8.00. which is usually about right to see the second support band.
Me too (apart from the kids/babysitters bit) - get home from work then grab something to eat, do the 3 'S''s and then it often takes over an hour to actually travel to the venue. I like to catch the support acts if I can and have discovered some excellent bands that way, but particularly on a weekday it's a real struggle to get to gigs early enough so catch support bands. :|

PS: This is my 666th post here. :twisted:
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Previous

Return to Other Bands and Music