Texas Travel Request

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Texas Travel Request

Postby Count » 16th Feb 07, 14:10

I'm hoping to make it to Austin Wildies show and was wondering if anyone:

i) knew of the best place to get direct route flights from London to Austin from

ii) can recommend somewhere to stay in Austin near the Dirty Dog venue

iii) else is making the trip over from the UK

I'm definitely going to look around online bigtime this weekend but thanks a lot for any help that anyone can give in the mean time :D
Count

Postby burgerrock » 16th Feb 07, 14:32

SXSW is extemely expensive and is 90% industry only.. www.sxsw.com have prices - you have to buy for the whole festival...

If i were you i'd get a nice £200 return flight to new york for the weekend on the 9 10 11 March, and you could catch the Wildhearts in New York and Long Island (only an hour from NYC) over 3 days.

Texas is a ballache to get to..
burgerrock

Postby Count » 16th Feb 07, 15:17

I didn't realise that the W'hearts were playing in a festival effectively (is that correct and please excuse my ignorance)?

I thought they were just doing a standard show at the Dirty Dog bar.

I didn't want to go to NY as I've already been there and wanted to experience somewhere else in the US esp Texas! I also can't get Monday 12th off work so unless there's a flight I can get back home directly after the Sunday show I wont be able to make it to the Long Island gig :(

Will have to look more into it this weekend but may well end up going to NY if it is a festival situation in Austin!

Thanks for the quick reply and info btw
"How much is enough to kill yourself?"
Count

Postby DiggityDawg » 16th Feb 07, 18:39

Definitely look into the SXSW link burger posted - it's a huuuuge annual event, with literally hundreds of bands playing. The WH's will basically be playing there to try to get US distribution of the upcoming album. It's all business.

I'd think the crowds for their show won't be massive, but the whole town's nuts that time of year.
DiggityDawg

Postby Michael Wade » 18th Feb 07, 16:19

I got a roon at Days Inn south of Austin 7 miles for $92.00 tax included per night. All the hotels in Austin are booked up, but there are many cheaper hotels just outside of downtown. You can easily cab or shuttle into the area where everything is happining. If you can not find a cheapflight into Austin (AUS) then try Houston (IAH). Austin is about 2.5 hours West. I might be fun for you to do a road trip. I am going to call the Dirty Dog to inquire about tickets. Not all the shows at SXSW require that you by the pass. Some shows are free. I'll let you know, because I intend to see the show without buying the pass.
Michael Wade

Postby bennympls » 19th Feb 07, 04:54

I got a room at the Red Nose Inn. They say the blossoms are just divine.l
bennympls

Postby everlone » 21st Feb 07, 06:14

I saw them play SXSW a few years ago when they made the rounds and it was the best show I've ever seen them do. It cost $20 to get in, but that is a SMALL price to pay for an American to see the 'Hearts. The place was packed, the crowd was nuts, and it was all business, but not the suit and tie kind. :twisted:
everlone

Postby boonsfarm » 21st Feb 07, 08:23

It will defintely be business. The Wildhearts must conquer!
boonsfarm

Postby Count » 21st Feb 07, 11:14

Well I am giving Texas a miss this time and heading out for the NY show instead.

I will make it to Texas one day though!

Thanks for all your help & advice guys :D
Count

Postby everlone » 21st Feb 07, 17:15

All right, but you don't know what you're missing... :twisted:

Have you ever seen the girls in Texas? :shock:
everlone

Postby Count » 21st Feb 07, 23:04

Yeah the pictures I've seen do look good and the dirty dog has some good albums online too.

Am sure Michael W knows the good spots in NY to go to though :P
Count

Postby bennympls » 22nd Feb 07, 01:17

Count, Michael Wade is a riot! You will have alot of fun hanging with him. Hes the biggest Ginger fan that I have ever met.
bennympls

Postby Michael Wade » 22nd Feb 07, 06:22

We should do a roll call. Who else is coming over?
Michael Wade

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat