Dudley gig pre 2001

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Dudley gig pre 2001

Postby pete » 24th Feb 07, 14:37

Anyone know which year the gig was wher the Wildhearts played so many songs i cant remember them all and Ginger said something like the coach isnt here so we'll keep playing im after the setlist dont think its the xmas 96 one but i could be wrong as i was hammered

sorry to be a pain
Put 'em in lights, put 'em in lights
pete

Postby Ean » 24th Feb 07, 15:11

I think it might have been the Xmas show. I don't recall them playing JB's that often back then as they used to fill the Civic when they toured. It was definitely a loong set though, same as the London gig. Ah, those were the days. :)
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby pete » 24th Feb 07, 15:13

i guess the setlist is on this board somewhere then
cheers Ean
Put 'em in lights, put 'em in lights
pete

Postby Stuart Brackpool » 24th Feb 07, 21:08

I think the show you mean is one that happened at Wolves Civic on Halloween in '96. They played the main set, came back on to do the encore and it went on (in the best possible sense) as long as the main set. The pit was killer, I asked the security to pull me out but they said it would be finished soon. They lied! Still, I saw it through without dying so call it a good night. If you do find the setlist for this gig let me know as I can remember some of what they played but not all. I know Can't Do Right For Doing Wrong and Shandy Bang were played. It was also the night where they were introduced by Diamond Dave in a Grim Reaper outfit. Hope that helps some.
Stuart Brackpool

Postby Damian » 25th Feb 07, 11:21

Yes, it was Christmas 1996 and it was ace. They came out for an unscheduled second encore because it was going so well and being the last date of the mini-tour "they had nowhere else to go that night". The best and worst Wildhearts gigs I've seen were at that venue... I think anyone who was at the worst one will remember which one I'm talking about. I think everyone hopes we never get another gig quite like that one...
Damian

Postby Assmask » 25th Feb 07, 12:58

care to share what you mean?
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

https://www.facebook.com/biggrizzlyband
Assmask

Postby Stuart Brackpool » 25th Feb 07, 14:24

Damian wrote:The best and worst Wildhearts gigs I've seen were at that venue... I think anyone who was at the worst one will remember which one I'm talking about. I think everyone hopes we never get another gig quite like that one...

I remember it well. Hopes were high that night, it had been a while. In the end it was quite unpleasant. They played there twice the following year, though, and they were two of the best shows I've seen them do. First the fall, then the redemption. How it was and how it shall ever be. God bless them for that.
Stuart Brackpool

Postby Assmask » 25th Feb 07, 14:37

what happened? I feel ike the playground leper noone can be arsed to speak to.
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

Assmask

Postby Nik » 25th Feb 07, 23:14

If I recall correctly Danny came onstage absolutely stinking of vomit, some silly bitch stood in front of me handed him half a bottle of Jack Daniels which he glugged in one go - and then it all went to hell.

Think someone in the audience threw something at him and he tried to start a fight with them, got dragged off stage by a roadie, came back onstage and tried to start a fight with Ginger - or something of that ilk.

Hell of a night.

And the set list had looked awesome too....they managed a few numbers with Toshi from Antiproduct, but it was an early night all round.
Nik

Postby Assmask » 26th Feb 07, 13:07

Nice.

Ta.
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

Assmask

Postby Damian » 26th Feb 07, 13:55

Nik wrote:If I recall correctly Danny came onstage absolutely stinking of vomit, some silly bitch stood in front of me handed him half a bottle of Jack Daniels which he glugged in one go - and then it all went to hell.

Think someone in the audience threw something at him and he tried to start a fight with them, got dragged off stage by a roadie, came back onstage and tried to start a fight with Ginger - or something of that ilk.

Hell of a night.

And the set list had looked awesome too....they managed a few numbers with Toshi from Antiproduct, but it was an early night all round.

He didn't start a fight - he just tried to plead to be allowed to play the set. He was replaced (mid-song) by Toshi from AntiProduct, who had previously been in a Wildhearts tribute act and knew everything.

And you forgot to mention that he got his knob out. Still, you're right, they more than made up for it in later shows fortunately... that show though was the first one I saw after they reformed and I immediately thought "it's all off". The Wildhearts though will be the last things standing on Earth, together with Keith Richard and termites.
Damian

Postby Nik » 26th Feb 07, 17:13

I'd completely blanked him getting his knob out, oddly enough!!

Agreed. when they did return (was it the year after? I forget...) it was a belter of a show.
Nik

Postby psalm69 » 27th Feb 07, 09:18

I remember that night very well , in my opinion it`s got to be one of the worst wildies show i`ve ever seen , but probably the one of the best as well. Danny was indeed hammered throughout and it was just all over the place, but when the roadie dragged him offstage Toshi from ANtiproduct filled in and it was excellent. The major upside of that gig was that danny started gettig help for his various problems and the Hearts continued doing what they do best without any major problems for a while!!!
psalm69

Postby twig.is.dead » 27th Feb 07, 13:12

yep that was defo the dudley xmas show at the end of 96 long ass set and the audience sang all of geordie in wonderland at the band without any prompting.

there is supposed to be a bootleg of this show floating about but i have never managed to track it down.
twig.is.dead

Postby Assmask » 27th Feb 07, 14:43

I bought a video of this gig back in 1998 for a tenner! the swines. Quality was awful both picture and sound but i still watched it about 20 times with a daxed smile - This was when I'd never seen them and they'd just cancelled the gig I had tickets for so was somewhat gutted.

Yeah huge long gig, remember one pint Ginger went to drum and Ritch came to sing something. Can't remember what, been nearly 10 years since i lost the vid.
8==m==D
8=m===D
8===m=D
8m====D--=__

The Big Grizzly

Assmask

Next

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat