B-Sides!

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

B-Sides!

Postby Lord Iffy Boatrace » 19th Mar 06, 22:25

I thought i had all of the b-sides until i noticed a couple of songs i had never heard of on a website!
He's A Whore and Lost Highway.

What are these songs from, and does anyone have them to download or mail me! :) :lol:
Lord Iffy Boatrace

Postby DiggityDawg » 19th Mar 06, 22:35

They're B-Sides from the "Endless Nameless" era.

"Lost Highway" is a cover of a Jason & The Scorchers tune - I think originally it was done by Hank Williams.

"He's A Whore" is a cover of a Cheap Trick tune from their 1st album.
DiggityDawg

Postby Ean » 19th Mar 06, 23:13

They were the b-sides from the 7" vinyls.

He's a Whore was on Anthem, and Lost Highway was on Urge.

Your best bet if you want originals (and you don't fancy vinyl?) is Anthem: The Single Tracks. It's the Japanese release of all the stuff from the Mushroom era - kind of like Coupled With. I got mine from eBay but there's none on there at the moment.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Lord Iffy Boatrace » 20th Mar 06, 11:19

Aha 7" vinyl b-sides! Thats why i havent got them then!
Thx for your replies.
Are there any other songs that were vinyl only?? I thought i had just about everything!! hehe
Lord Iffy Boatrace

Postby ArcticFox » 20th Mar 06, 12:36

I believe Johnny Wash n Go was on the Fishing for More Luckies Vinyl release but I have a CD copy from a Bootleg off Ebay.
ArcticFox

Postby DarrenStockford » 20th Mar 06, 15:04

DiggityDawg wrote:"Lost Highway" is a cover of a Jason & The Scorchers tune - I think originally it was done by Hank Williams.

I only know the Hank Williams and Scorchers versions, but the first ever recording of Lost Highway was made in 1948 by its author, Leon Payne. Hank covered it in 1949 (with a change to one of the lines, according to Colin Escott in The Complete Hank Williams).

Mr Factoid at your service. :wink:
DarrenStockford

Postby Lord Iffy Boatrace » 20th Mar 06, 15:09

Thanks to dingwall and ean for emailing me about these songs!

Cheers guys :P
Lord Iffy Boatrace

Postby DiggityDawg » 20th Mar 06, 19:34

DarrenStockford wrote:
DiggityDawg wrote:"Lost Highway" is a cover of a Jason & The Scorchers tune - I think originally it was done by Hank Williams.

I only know the Hank Williams and Scorchers versions, but the first ever recording of Lost Highway was made in 1948 by its author, Leon Payne. Hank covered it in 1949 (with a change to one of the lines, according to Colin Escott in The Complete Hank Williams).

Mr Factoid at your service. :wink:

Aha...well there you go. That's what I get for not diggin' into it!

You know, I've never even heard Hank's version...I'm assuming it's more country/honky tonk. Is that the case? If so, I guess you could say the WH's covered the Scorchers' interpretation.
DiggityDawg

Postby DarrenStockford » 20th Mar 06, 20:51

Yeah, Hank's is slower - more a country lament. The Wildhearts' inspiration was definitely the Scorchers' version - though, as you know, they went way beyond even that in the ROCK department. In fact, I think they hammered this one until it broke.
DarrenStockford

Postby TV Tan » 20th Mar 06, 21:30

I have a live recording of Lost Highway
which is damn good
recorded in japan i think.
I'M IN LOVE WITH THE ROCK AND ROLL WORLD
TV Tan

Postby Ean » 20th Mar 06, 21:34

TV Tan wrote:I have a live recording of Lost Highway
which is damn good
recorded in japan i think.

It used to turn up quite regularly in the time before they imploded, along with White Lies and Pump It Up. :)
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby dingwall » 21st Mar 06, 00:08

ArcticFox wrote:I believe Johnny Wash n Go was on the Fishing for More Luckies Vinyl release but I have a CD copy from a Bootleg off Ebay.

It's off the standard FFL vinyl, but it's not mentioned in the tracklisting. In fact the tracklisting deviates alot from what's written on the sleeve!
*dINGWALL*
----------------------------------------------
Do it all in the name of Rock n Roll!
www.wildheartsbootlegs.co.uk
----------------------------------------------
dingwall

Postby WiredOut » 13th Apr 06, 20:54

The 'He's A Whore' cover is one of my favourite things The Wildhearts have ever done. Especially the first ten or so seconds: a pre-coital white noise hellspasm that sounds like someone chainsawing through a ghetto blaster spewing Guitar Wolf's 'Jet Generation' straight into a rusty megaphone. But better.

It's so good 'cos it hurts so bad.

Sorry, I think I'm getting a little tipsy. :)
'C'mon, make me feel like me.'
WiredOut

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat