Scarborough - why was it bad???

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Scarborough - why was it bad???

Postby ArcticFox » 20th Mar 06, 14:46

I personally couldn't make it to the Scarborough gig due to only being a couple of weeks after the Leeds festival but I can tell it didn't go down too well with quite a lot of people who did...

Any particular reasons why? As a 'hearts fan of over 10 years it would be intruiging to know...
ArcticFox

Postby Col » 20th Mar 06, 15:19

I wasn't there either, was in spain on an all inclusive extravaganza.

Apparently the beer suppliers pulled out a few days before and whoever stepped in wasn't up to the job hence MASSIVE beer queues (is that a word?)

Wildhearts came on 40 mins late and couldn't do full set.

People who organised it fucked off with all the money and not many people got paid. Whoever was originally supplying the beer must have had inside info.

I stand to be corrected on any of the above points.
Col

Postby shockingcandy » 20th Mar 06, 15:32

It was extremely cold! Other than that though I had a great time!
shockingcandy

Postby blackdeathcrew » 20th Mar 06, 16:18

I had a great day too :D Dont think any true fans were that dissapointed? Agreed it was chuffin cold and the beer queue was MASSIVE, but a great day i'd say 8)
blackdeathcrew

Postby shockingcandy » 20th Mar 06, 16:36

Met lots of LiSTiES that weekend too and contrary to the rumours they were all really friendly and welcoming. All in all a great weekend!
shockingcandy

Postby Sully » 20th Mar 06, 17:06

I've read on this forum a few people didn't think the wildhearts were on form that night but I thought they were class. I'd been drinking all day like so i didn't feel the cold as much. The beer queue was a fucking joke and they only sold carling or some shite but it was a good day overall.
I was suprised how many people turned out for it, was good to see.
Sully

Postby shockingcandy » 20th Mar 06, 17:15

I wasn't cold during the wildies set 'cause I was jumping around. But the camping...
shockingcandy

Postby Zo » 20th Mar 06, 17:23

I'm getting icicles on my nose just thinking about it....

Personally didn't think the guys were on top form - I've seen them much much better.

Was still a fantastic weekend though - despite the beer queues, I think the most fun thing about it was bumping into loads and LOADS of people there. :)
Zo

Postby beerofthedark » 20th Mar 06, 17:26

I thought that they played a great, tight set. For whatever reason they were on a bit late, so between song chat was cut to a minimum. Stand-out moment was the Geordie... singalongwith Ginger standing on the monitors at the front conductibng us - sheer bliss.
bloody parky up there tho! :shock:
who'd have thought it of an open field on a bloody great cliff sticking out into the North Sea at the start of autumn? i just don't understand it...
"I have a barrel of opinions
lonely, lonely
I am everlone, everlone"
beerofthedark

Postby shockingcandy » 20th Mar 06, 17:59

Yeah, considering it was a one off gig and that lineup hadn't played togeither for a long time I thought they were pretty tight.
shockingcandy

Postby skychaserhigh » 20th Mar 06, 18:06

Just the venue that was bad, would have been great on a warm summer night.....but frezzing cold with huge queue's to get a drink NO THANKS..

The Wildhearts set was good not great..but i love those guys so i would have stood in the north pole with an ice lolly to watch them :twisted:
skychaserhigh

Postby Ean » 20th Mar 06, 20:02

beerofthedark wrote:I thought that they played a great, tight set. For whatever reason they were on a bit late, so between song chat was cut to a minimum

They were late, partly because, let's face it, gigs always are, and also because Big Mick was quite rightly insisting that the sound be spot on for the recording. I think they probably should have canned one of the lower bands to allow them the extra time.

I wasn't hugely impressed with the performance, the energy that they'd accumulated through all the touring with Jon and Stidi just wasn't there and no amount of pyro really covered that up. It just seemed like they were going through the motions in a 'greatest hits' main set that held no real surprises. I'd imagine they were saving stuff for the encore but never got the chance. Probably the most disappointing WH gig I've seen - and the cold and shite beer tent and no merchandise really didn't help.

Stand-out moment was the Geordie... singalongwith Ginger standing on the monitors at the front conductibng us - sheer bliss.

The redeeming moment of the gig for me: just magic - plus if the DVD ever comes out I might be on it cos they stuck a camera right in the faces of about six of us and left it there for ages while we sang. :)

Met some top Listees though, so Bonus. :D
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby TV Tan » 20th Mar 06, 21:26

I thought it was a damn good day

the beer line was massive but me and my bro had the best idea. order 5 each and join the back and when you finished 5 you are at front of line again. Or even better send your brother to the bar when The wildhearts are on and no wait what so ever.

As for the wildhearts i thought they was on form but you could sense that Ginger was unhappy with something as he never spoke a word inbetween songs and looked miserable.
I thought danny could have done more he was just rigid all the gig he moved more when he was chatting to me and me bro during hanoi rocks set.

overall good day bloody cold but hey it was worth it.

and to sum it up in the words of tony wright
" this is seaside rock at its best "
TV Tan

Postby Keith Richard » 20th Mar 06, 22:00

Me and Bro-in-law had a great day out. Coming from north of the border, the weather didn't really bother us. The Wildhearts put on a respectable performance and played a kind of "best of" set. Danny's bass was a little "up" in the mix, but he played well. This band line up is my preferred line up so I may be a little biased. I undertand that the cold got to Ginger's damaged finger which pissed him off. Highlights for me were "Geordie" and "Shoes". I'm hopeful that the DVD will eventually see the light of day.
cause the chances are good that it wont let you down, like maybe drinking with Keith, or seeing Dolly Parton's tits...
Keith Richard

Postby Ean » 20th Mar 06, 22:24

Keith Richard wrote: Danny's bass was a little "up" in the mix, but he played well.

You were standing right in front of Danny weren't you? That's where I was and it was his amps on the stage that were so loud they drowned out the PA. \m/rock'n'roll\m/ :wink:
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Next

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat