Scarborough - why was it bad???

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Postby Keith Richard » 20th Mar 06, 22:49

Ean wrote:
Keith Richard wrote: Danny's bass was a little "up" in the mix, but he played well.

You were standing right in front of Danny weren't you?

Yep.....got my "Demand the right to be unique" T shirt destroyed by being pushed up against the barriers and trapped on my belt buckle!
cause the chances are good that it wont let you down, like maybe drinking with Keith, or seeing Dolly Parton's tits...
Keith Richard

Postby Dark Lord of Barnet » 20th Mar 06, 23:19

I though overall it was an excellent day, although marred for many people by the beer queue - I couldn't believe it when I first saw it! :shock: The bill was superb as far as I'm concerned - one of the best I've ever seen. I really liked the venue, but it was a fucking stupid idea to have a gig there at that time of year - it was OK during the day - but far too cold in the evening with that clifftop breeze blowing straight in from the North Sea.
"and don't forget the joker!"

Dark Lord of Barnet
Dark Lord of Barnet

Postby Damian » 20th Mar 06, 23:38

I had a fantastic time. It was freezing - REALLY freezing - until I joined the mob from Eighties Matchbox onwards. Terrorvision were... well, they never do a bad show. Ever. The freezing conditions, time restraints, technical issues etc. meant that Ginger clearly didn't have a great day of it... but they performed really well. So although it wasn't the best of their shows ever to ATTEND, it will look fantastic on film. Especially the unbelievable start to Caffeine Bomb - I still won't spoil the surprise for anyone that didn't go in the hope that one day it will be released.

So possibly not the best day for the bands, but great for the fans and speaking personally as a social event it was one of the best weekends I've ever had. I think Ginger would feel a lot better about it if he knew how brilliant that day was for so many people...

Oh, and Plan A. And Robochrist. Oh yes.

(Let's not mention Hanoi Rocks, though. It went a bit wrong for them...)
Damian

Postby davejnick » 21st Mar 06, 08:50

Other than the crap weather (but what do you expect on the edge of the North Sea at that time of year?) and the now-legendary booze queue it was a pretty good day. Got introduced to a couple of new bands that I wouldn't have heard otherwise, had a chat with Danny, and Terrorvision and the 'Hearts were - as always - absolutely fantastic. Even Hanoi were shit in an entertaining way......
How dare you!
davejnick

Postby trace-da-space » 21st Mar 06, 08:58

davejnick wrote: Even Hanoi were shit in an entertaining way......

yeah, well, we could ALL put in a blindin' gig after arrivin' at the venue STILL not knowin' if we were gunna get to play, couldn't we?...an' borrowed gear that breaks always helps, doesn't it? :roll:

at least you's weren't in fuckin' hospital, unlike some divvy *I* could mention :oops:

altho' if it were cold, i wuz probably better off there, i'm so skinny now i'd have crashed with hypothermia & landed in hospital anywayz! :shock:
lurve,

trace x
trace-da-space

Postby JimNasty » 21st Mar 06, 19:45

Was fecking freezing- not too pleasent when sleeping at the train station in just a t-shirt !
JimNasty

Postby davejnick » 21st Mar 06, 19:47

trace-da-space wrote:
davejnick wrote: Even Hanoi were shit in an entertaining way......

yeah, well, we could ALL put in a blindin' gig after arrivin' at the venue STILL not knowin' if we were gunna get to play, couldn't we?...an' borrowed gear that breaks always helps, doesn't it? :roll:

trace x

Hey, they were good enough that i'm paying £25 to go to see them again in a couple of months.
How dare you!
davejnick

Postby EvilNeil » 21st Mar 06, 21:09

well firstly, they came on stage about 45mins late meaning their set was only just over an hour long, there was no merchandise!! i met Danny during the day and he said they were going to play Anthem, so i was really exicted and of course when they didn't i felt a wee bit let down. i know it wasn't there fault, but i still came away from the gig feeling dissapointed! but looking back now it was a good gig they played really well and they were really fucking tight! Danny, Ritch and Cj all looked like they were having a good time and seemed really into it. Ginger however looked pissed off all the way through and didn't seem his usual self, i think he only spoke to the crowd twice, and he didn't crack any jokes or anything like he normally does! but at least we'll have the ultimate souvenir a DVD of the gig!! or not! i e-mailed ginger about the DVD and he said he's too bizzy with the sonic circus to promote a DVD, so not to hold your breath!! so to sum up it wasn't a bad gig but it wasn't a great gig and what's becoming typical wildhearts style there's as about as much chance of A wildhearts DVD being released as me walking on the moon!!
EvilNeil

Postby Glen666 » 21st Mar 06, 22:05

Some very valid comments from everyone really.

It was absolutely freezing, I honestly cannot remember ever being so cold. Didn't bother with beer as the que was massive and had a 4 hour drive to contend with afterwards.

It was great to see Danny and Ritch back. Ginger seemed really, really annoyed throughout the whole set. He was more than likely upset about the lateness and missing out a load of songs, banter and an encore. He probrably doesn't want the DVD to come out as it's hardly a great representation of what was meant to be a spectacular swan song.

It was a great day but a bit of a shame really.
Glen666

Postby Dave C » 21st Mar 06, 22:43

I thoroughly enjoyed Scarborough. Yes it was fucking freezing, Yes The Wildhearts set was way too short, but what we did get was mighty fine. I loved the Geordie in Wonderland singalong.

It was great also for: - Plan A, Planet of Women, Robochrist, The Grit & Terrorvision who preformed like headliner themselves and of course the great craic with fellow fans.

It was bad for: - Food (shit burgers or shit burgers), Drinks (the biggest queue in Yorkshire) merchandise (I still can't beleive that there was no Wildies t-shirts or any other event shirts), Scarborough being shut after the show (I was starving man)

But lets be honest, we'd all do it again, wouldn't we?!
Dave C

Postby Ean » 21st Mar 06, 22:47

Dave C wrote:Scarborough being shut after the show (I was starving man)

Ah, no. There was a really great pizza/kebab shop about 5 minutes from the castle. Open late too. :)
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Dave C » 21st Mar 06, 22:53

Ean wrote:
Dave C wrote:Scarborough being shut after the show (I was starving man)

Ah, no. There was a really great pizza/kebab shop about 5 minutes from the castle. Open late too. :)

Damn, I must've gone the wrong way.
Dave C

Postby chris_j » 21st Mar 06, 23:05

I'll not forget Scarborough in hurry. To be honest, I wish it had been better. The beer queue, the short set from the Wilhdearts, the fact that it was so very cold... none of them were ideal.... but it was still great :-) Best moment of the day for me was actually Robochrist. Seeing the reaction that he got from people, especially the guy who walked out past me muttering "I've seen some shit but..." while I was stood there with a big grin on my face cos it was so brilliant :-)

Actually, the beer queue was so farcically long that it was funny. We joined the queue after watching The Grit. We were in that queue for the whole of Hanoi Rocks's set + most of the band that was on after that (Leaving Newark, I think, who I was gutted to miss). Made me glad that I was driving home ;-)
In an ideal world there'd be no time for ideals.

chris_j

Postby davejnick » 21st Mar 06, 23:28

As for Ginger seeming pissed off, I'm sure the review in Kerrang said that he thought the organisation on the day was shit, and that he'd injured his hand so he was in agony throughout the set.

Or did I just dream that? :?
How dare you!
davejnick

Postby shockingcandy » 21st Mar 06, 23:40

At the barfly gig the week after he said that he couldnt feel is damaged finger (the one he broke in BOD) because of the cold. Still, he's a shit hot guitar player even with a mangled finger!

I seem to remeber Danny also said it was really cold on stage that day
shockingcandy

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat