What is "Vanilla radio"??

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

What is "Vanilla radio"??

Postby Chris Norway » 17th May 06, 06:35

Hi!

Can someone tell me what a"vanilla radio" is??
And what is the meaning in the songs lyrics?

Just wonder:)

Chris
Chris Norway

Postby godofhaircare » 17th May 06, 14:05

I always took it that "vanllia radio" meant boring, average, normal radio like bland pop songs that are always currently in the charts.

As for "wheres my elvis?" lyric, you're guess is aa good as mine.
godofhaircare

Postby Ean » 17th May 06, 14:19

Just like Vanilla Ice-cream is the simplest, most boring flavour, Vanilla Radio is the kind of boring radio station where there's nothing exciting played, just the same safe, generally insipid, stuff over and over again.

The song is a call out to all those who are happy to listen to the same stuff to turn it down and find something more exciting. Unfortunately, due to exactly the problem Ginger's singing about, it's a call to arms that didn't get heard by many people... :roll:

I think the 'Where's my Elvis' bit is Ginger bemoaning the current lack of the kind of artist who can change everything and excite people the way Elvis did: Elvis was their Elvis, Where's MY Elvis? (somewhat ironic considering that to some of us, that's exactly what He is. :) )
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby SteveP » 17th May 06, 14:46

Ean,
Have you discussed this with Ginger himself??, cos if not, that's a quality assessment of the song!!!!!
23 Pictures In A Tent....

'The bus is gannin fuckin neewhere'
SteveP

Postby Ean » 17th May 06, 14:54

SteveP wrote:Ean,
Have you discussed this with Ginger himself??, cos if not, that's a quality assessment of the song!!!!!

Nope, never spoken to the man (and would probably blather like an eejit if I did :oops: ). I'd not really even analysed it that much 'til Chris asked the question.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby SteveP » 17th May 06, 16:38

Ean wrote:(and would probably blather like an eejit if I did :oops: ).

Like I did outside St James' Park before a match one day earlier this year, stone cold sober, I wittered on like a stuttering fool!!!, it's a wonder he didn't tell me to bugger off!!!
23 Pictures In A Tent....

'The bus is gannin fuckin neewhere'
SteveP

Postby Damian » 18th May 06, 00:19

Ginger has discussed the song before, and Ean's take on it is basically spot-on.
Damian

Postby Chris Norway » 18th May 06, 14:31

Thanx!
I think you may be very close to the truth, Ean.
Chris Norway

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat