Geordie in wonderland / live cd

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Postby Andy » 21st Jul 06, 12:46

Gigantor wrote:Here you go:

http://www.snappermusic.com/item11666?startPos=

Sadly no DVD and the cover's not too great either. :roll:
But looking forward to hearing it.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but why isn't Everlone on the track list? :?
It was played if I remember rightly.

Andy
Andy

Postby skychaserhigh » 21st Jul 06, 18:26

Good question it's on the promo but not the finished release why :?:
skychaserhigh

Postby rockadler » 23rd Jul 06, 12:20

Interesting thing, that.....

On Amazon.de (German version) track 8 is listed as Everlone.

On amazon.co.uk. song 8 is Everyone (!!!) and both versions have 15 tracks

So I think it will be there...
rockadler

Postby skychaserhigh » 24th Jul 06, 19:59

got my copy this morning :D

p.s

Everlone is on there
skychaserhigh

Postby Damian » 24th Jul 06, 21:32

I was in a record shop today, having completely forgotten about this, to buy James Dean Bradfield's record (which is utterly brilliant). So anyhow, saw this too and bought it.

Interesting, as someone that was there - for those of you who weren't, you can now hear (for instance) how badly timed the fireworks were in "I Wanna Go..."

But the thing about it is that Ginger sounds really angry on it and that makes it a top recording. "...Strikes Back" was a rock record and this one's a punk record. Shame Ginger's not going to get any money for it but I can't really recommend that anyone doesn't buy it because it's bloody good.

Marks off for the sleevenotes though. An anonymous someone has written a bit of a potted history and said how music is never as interesting when everything goes smoothly. Might possibly true in the case of The Wildhearts but I don't for one second think Ginger wouldn't have preferred NOT to have the splits, the drug problems and all that get in the way of the music. It's these notes that make it obvious it's not an 'official' release - they should have left them off and just used loads of pictures.

So yeah, buy it already. (Sorry Ginger)
Damian

Postby weebleboy » 26th Jul 06, 10:04

Just listening to my copy now, its much more raw than Strike Back, but thats not a bad thing. Geordie in Wonderland gave me goosebumps and the memories have all come flooding back. Hope this DVD comes out!
http://www.facebook.com/Kevin.Burdon.Photography
weebleboy

Postby shockingcandy » 26th Jul 06, 12:14

Long time no post. Have listened to the CD a couple of times now and I have to say I've heard better bootlegs both in terms of sound quality and performance. However, it's great to have something with which to remember what for me was a briiliant weekend (despite the cold etc.). The crowd singing Geordie was indeed a moment to saviour.

Ben
shockingcandy

Postby Ean » 26th Jul 06, 14:23

shockingcandy wrote:Have listened to the CD a couple of times now and I have to say I've heard better bootlegs both in terms of sound quality and performance.

I'll say. The vocals are abysmal. Ginger's are pretty buried, but the harmonies are mostly non-existant.

And (slipping into muso-mode) considering the bass drum mic they were using, they've managed to rather effectively kill all the punch. :?

Welcome back Ben. :)
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby shockingcandy » 26th Jul 06, 14:32

Ean wrote:
Welcome back Ben. :)

Cheers matey. Long time no see. (I failed to make any dates on the last acoustic tour due to moving flats and been busy with my new band - poor excuses I know!)

Yes, the drum mix appears to consist almost entirely of cymbals and overall the mix is very muddy, even for a live recording. And as for those pyros...
shockingcandy

Postby Ean » 26th Jul 06, 14:41

shockingcandy wrote:Cheers matey. Long time no see. (I failed to make any dates on the last acoustic tour due to moving flats and been busy with my new band - poor excuses I know!)

Not really, depends if yer choons are any good? :wink: There was a distinct lack of familiar (to me, anyway) faces at the wolvo gig, although you did miss the recording of the next official bootleg (and a fantastic cover of A-Ha's Take on me by Chris Catalyst).

Yes, the drum mix appears to consist almost entirely of cymbals and overall the mix is very muddy, even for a live recording. And as for those pyros...

Yeah, the intro to Stormy... doesn't come across quite as impressively on the CD... :roll:
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby shockingcandy » 26th Jul 06, 14:53

Ean wrote:Not really, depends if yer choons are any good?

I'd say so but then I would wouldn't I? ;) We're recording in a few weeks so you'll be able to make up your own mind soon.

Ean wrote:Yeah, the intro to Stormy... doesn't come across quite as impressively on the CD... :roll:

Listening in a baking car you do get the same heat rush as with those flame throwers though ;)
shockingcandy

Postby Dave C » 26th Jul 06, 18:39

Sounds good to me, although one track, I forget which, sounded like it was from a jumping record. Shit packaging! Terible cover, and criminal that Ginger gets nowt for his hard work.

I sat back and closed my eyes when Geordie came on, I could see it all replaying in my head, fucking brilliant.

It's also the first live CD I've ever been on.
Dave C

Postby EvilNeil » 27th Jul 06, 08:18

[quote="Damian"]I was in a record shop today, having completely forgotten about this, to buy James Dean Bradfield's record (which is utterly brilliant). So anyhow, saw this too and bought it.

good call JDB album is fantastic, better than the last couple of manics albums infact!!!
EvilNeil

Postby Ean » 27th Jul 06, 15:47

Dave C wrote:Sounds good to me, although one track, I forget which, sounded like it was from a jumping record.

It's probably the last two tracks, where Cj's guitar keeps cutting out and nobody seems to be doing anything about it... Odd that he's turned right up for the dodgy bit, seeing as he's so buried in the mix for the rest of it you can hardly hear him . :roll:
It's also the first live CD I've ever been on.

Me too (I think - they didn't use and of the Wolvo gig on ...Strike Back... apparently we weren't rockin' enough :P ).
Ean Ü

Ean

Postby Michael Wade » 27th Jul 06, 23:52

This disc is great. I love it's unpolishedness. There are many highlights, the Vanilla Radio being one of them. Can anyone remember the name of that pub down the hill from the Castle?
Michael Wade

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat