Geordie in wonderland / live cd

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Postby geordierussell » 28th Jul 06, 00:01

I wish I'd been at the Castle gig.
http://www.tinyurl.com/gnr2010
geordierussell

Postby bennympls » 28th Jul 06, 03:51

Dont know why people are nit picking on this gig. It is by far the most entertaining live Wildhearts recording that I own! Remember Danny??????? this was his return to the band. Lighten up all you studiogearafile musicians that dont like the sound. Long live the boys and all their mistakes on this one, its better than strikes back. I love raw emotion. Ginger was wonderful. Vanilla radio was the best live version I have heard. UFO did a live record strangers in the night that had little or no over-dubs that is me favorite live bit.
bennympls

Postby Sully » 28th Jul 06, 09:51

I was gonna wait for the DVD but fuck it I'm going to buy the Cd after work.
Sully

Postby chris_j » 28th Jul 06, 10:23

I got it yesterday and am listening to it for the first time right now. First impressions: it's great :-) I have to admit that I was not looking forward to it. Scarborough was good but the memories that I took away from it were not good ones. The fuck ups, the cold, the beer queue, the Wildhearts' set being cut short etc all soured it a little. However, this album just reminded me how it was actually all rather ace despite all that. The only thing that I'd add to this album is another CD with Robochrist's set on it ;-)

So if anyone hasn't got this and is in two minds about getting it (like I was) then just go and get it cos I don't think you will regret it.

\m/
In an ideal world there'd be no time for ideals.

chris_j

Postby Damian » 28th Jul 06, 19:16

Considering the set was cut short, they somehow played 15 songs (and there was a bit on inter-song faffing about which has been cut from the recording), so they didn't do too bad.

Terrorvision played for 75 minutes which probably contributed. Mind you, I'm not ever going to complain about Terrorvision playing for 75 minutes!
Damian

Postby Gigantor » 29th Jul 06, 11:14

Got my copy yesterday.

Don't like the sound *at all*, Ginger's vocals are below par, the fireworks are louder than the music, Everlone starts with a mistake and the cover is TERRIBLE.
Don't get me wrong - I *want* to like it and I was looking forward to this record but this is probably the worst WH release ever.

Why has this been released? No wonder the man himself is not supporting it. Oh well...
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

www.gigantor.de
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Gigantor

Postby SteveP » 30th Jul 06, 18:31

Gigantor wrote:Why has this been released? No wonder the man himself is not supporting it. Oh well...

Cos Snapper wants, yes, you guessed it...........MONEY
23 Pictures In A Tent....

'The bus is gannin fuckin neewhere'
SteveP

Postby beerofthedark » 31st Jul 06, 09:18

I quite like it really, tho the sound quality varies throughout and the guitar going all intermittent during the last couple of songs is quite annoying. But I love having a record aof a gig i was at - and, most of all, i would have paid the tenner for the recording of Geordie in Wonderland alone. I never knew i had such a good voice :lol:

Andy
"I have a barrel of opinions
lonely, lonely
I am everlone, everlone"
beerofthedark

Postby shockingcandy » 31st Jul 06, 09:26

It's actually starting to grow on me. I still think the sound quality is shite but as record of said event the it does the job. And I must agree on what a tuneful bunch us Wildie fans are 'cause I can actually hear some harmonies on Geordie...lovelly.
shockingcandy

Postby EvilNeil » 31st Jul 06, 16:48

i don't think the cd is bad or was the gig itself, i just think that everyone expected something a little special, me included. let's face it the set list is pretty much the same songs they always play, they didn't pull out anything rare. i spoke to danny during the day and he promised they'd play Anthem and of course they didn't, i know this wasn't the bands fault, running out of time and what not. but it's still anoying!! but it is cool to own CD of a full gig in which i attended. i was at the Hammersmith gig in which the first 3 songs from strikes back were recorded and i was also at ginger's birthday gig, but for some reason half of that didn't make it onto the CD, which was a shame coz they played brilliant versions of 'Nurse maximum' and 'getting it' just after friend for five minutes you can hear me shouting genius penis, but it fades out!!
EvilNeil

Postby Damian » 31st Jul 06, 16:56

EvilNeil wrote:...i was also at ginger's birthday gig, but for some reason half of that didn't make it onto the CD, which was a shame coz they played brilliant versions of 'Nurse maximum' and 'getting it' just after friend for five minutes you can hear me shouting genius penis, but it fades out!!

Hmmm. Got to say, I was at that and it was a great party (in a terrible venue), but there were some very off-key vocals that night, so perhaps it was edited on those grounds...

(hides)
Damian

Postby EvilNeil » 31st Jul 06, 17:44

Damian wrote:
EvilNeil wrote:...i was also at ginger's birthday gig, but for some reason half of that didn't make it onto the CD, which was a shame coz they played brilliant versions of 'Nurse maximum' and 'getting it' just after friend for five minutes you can hear me shouting genius penis, but it fades out!!

Hmmm. Got to say, I was at that and it was a great party (in a terrible venue), but there were some very off-key vocals that night, so perhaps it was edited on those grounds...

(hides)

perhaps a combination of cold weather and too much beer made me remember things the way i wanted to!! terrible venue?? well it wasn't great but i've been in alot worse, namely the kentish town forum!! or perhaps the fact that i had to endure 1hour and half of amen whilst waiting for the wildhearts to come on helped me decided that was a bad venue!!
EvilNeil

Postby beerofthedark » 1st Aug 06, 08:34

Each to their own I suppose, but I adore the Forum, seen pretty much all my heroes there at one point or another, seen the Wildhearts there more times than I've seen them any single place else, and I was there when they filmed the Suckerpunch video 8) All in all, it's probably my favourite venue for equal parts great memories and overall gig venue. The Marquee, on the other hand, was a big pile of shite (that version anyway).
"I have a barrel of opinions
lonely, lonely
I am everlone, everlone"
beerofthedark

Postby Damian » 1st Aug 06, 08:58

Agreed on the Forum. My favourite London venue by miles.
Damian

Postby blackdeathcrew » 1st Aug 06, 13:25

geordierussell wrote:I wish I'd been at the Castle gig.

Despite some ofthe 'techincal' problems on the day, I still rate this as one of the BEST all round gigs i've been to (and i've been to a LOT) 8)
blackdeathcrew

PreviousNext

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat