Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

Japan Shows

Postby kitescreech » 29th Dec 06, 12:52

18, 19 & 20 Feb 2007.

Think Ill give them a miss, bit far to commute. :cry:
"Today is different and tomorow the same"
kitescreech

Postby Andy » 22nd Feb 07, 10:27

So whoever attended the Japanese WH gigs, can we have reviews please.
Andy

Postby Ean » 22nd Feb 07, 22:47

Check out Damo's (Aussie Listee) Japanese tales on his Myspaz.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby Andy » 22nd Feb 07, 23:54

Ean wrote:Check out Damo's (Aussie Listee) Japanese tales on his Myspaz.

Excellent. Cheers Ean.
Andy

Postby markE » 23rd Feb 07, 11:27

how lucky are the japanese fans - a ginger solo band show and the wildhearts in one night :!

i am soooo jealous :D :D :twisted: :
why do i have to ignore you to get your attention?
markE

Postby pete » 23rd Feb 07, 12:09

cant view myspace at work can someone post the review on here
cheers all
Put 'em in lights, put 'em in lights
pete

Postby blackdeathcrew » 23rd Feb 07, 12:16

Hope Damo doesnt mind this being posted here:

JAPAN - Day 8
Current mood: rejuvenated

Well this is it. The last night in Japan. We fly out at 8pm tomorrow night and this will be my last post. Today we went to Studio Ghibili (spelling?) and saw the Manga Museum. Very interesting and some of the historical effects were awesome looking. I really enjoyed it and was well worth the 1000 yen that it cost to see it (about $10). After we left there, we went back to the city, chiulled out for a bit at our hotel and then headed out for dinner with CJ Wildheart. Yeah, another dinner. Great times. CJ shared many great stories with me about rock and the Wildhearts and how badly they are trying to work on getting to Australia. I hope it happens and you all go. You need to see just what is so special about this band. Some of you may get it, others won't. After dinner we headed to Current to have a few drinks as Yugo was DJ-ing and giving us enough rock to last us the trip home. He rules.

Right now I would like to take the time to thank both Kai and Yugo again for everything they have done. Those 2 guys are worth their weight in gold. Two of the best people you could ever meet. Their generosity and help has been so appreciated. If it wasnt for them, we wouldnt have gotten the tickets to the shows, we wouldnt have gotten around as easily as we did, we wouldnt have even gone to Japan to begin with. I am forever greatful to the both of them. I wish there were more people like these guys in the world, it may be even more of a wonderful place to be.

I dont have a lot to report but I may give you some anecdotes about the trip:

- Where we use the internet cafe' (and i swear this wont be half as good as if you experienced this in person), there is a dude here and when you pay for the time used, he says "200 Yen" in the funniest voice of all time. It rules. I will film it when I leave to show the people back home.

- You can smoke everywhere here which is disgusting cos I am now sick from the cigarette smoke.

- When at the Wildhearts shows, the crowd yells out "Ginger" in the funniest voice... it is again on video, you gotta hear this to appreciate its humour.

- I spent way too much money on stuff that I will need Egyptians to help me carry it all home.

- Everything here rules.

- People are nice.

- The place where we use the internet also has a tanning salon, a place to get your nails done and a shower.

- The TV here is nuts and makes no sense. But we did see some spanking on late night TV which puzzled us.

- Stuff here is not on 1 level. If you want to go to a record shop, just know that there are floors you need to go up to get there. You dont just walk in off the street and go "hey, Records to buy!". It's more like walk in off the street, take 5 flights of stairs and then go "Hey, that was a hike, my back and legs are killing me but hey! Records to buy!"

That's me done. I am outta here. I am gonna go to the hotel and go to sleep. Maybe. Or maybe I will wander around Shinjuku for a bit. I dunno. I kinda dont wanna sleep but I kinda wanna wake up early to see stuff tomorrow before heading out to the airport. Bah!

Anyway, I hope you have all been good while I have been away. It's gonna be interesting returning to small town Adelaide.

Love Damo

7:49 AM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment

21 Feb 2007

JAPAN - Days 6 & 7
Current mood: happy

WOW!!! All i can say is WOW!!! I have the best things to tell you today. Sorry for not sending an email last night but i got in at like 4:30am or later and needed to be up early cos of where we went today.

Anyway, here is the scoop:

Kai took us to see a historial town which was super nice. Really relaxing and many temples and statues and those sorts of things. I really dig all that stuff so I am glad Kai took us, it was most appreciated. There is a bizarre story about statues in this place about how each one is different and one of them best resembles you.

After there, we headed back to Ebisu for the final Wildhearts show of the tour. We got there early enough to score front row. Yay! God Damn Whores and RObochrist were the opening acts and then The Wildhearts. Definitely the best show of the whole tour. They mixed the set up as to not play the same set over. I filmed the encore which turned out to be one of the most special moments for reasons i will get to in a second. From start to finish, the band was in top form and the sound was amazing. The set list was as follows:

Greetings From Shitsville
TV Tan
Nita Nitro
My Baby Is A Headfuck
O.C.D.
Caffeine Bomb
Everlone
Sick Of Drugs
Vanilla Radio
Suckerpunch
Caprice

(encore)
Geordie In Wonderland
29x The Pain
Love U Til I Dont
I Wanna Go Where The People Go

Ginger's son, Jake, joined Ginger on stage for Geordie and 29x The Pain. Very cool. He is gonna be a rock legend also. I filmed the whole encore without any security guards seeing me and if they did, well they didnt bother doing anything about it to stop me. The reason why this was special is it appears Ginger knows about the bullshit I have been going through with my ex and all that crap to the point where he actually took a moment between songs to ask me over the mic how I was going and if I am back on track. His words to me "It'll get better Damo, it always does" really touched me. I was totally stunned as I wasnt expecting it. A very special moment for me since his music has given me so much.

I was talking to my mum about it who has said some really good things about Ginger in return. She knows how much this music means to me and the things I have done / achieved / gone through due to the music of Ginger & The Wildhearts. I feel better, like a lot better. Things have been really good for me and I have started turning things around. It's all good and I can't wait for the future. Fuck all the bad shit from the past... Time to let it go. I will grab the best things of the past and take them with me into the future. Something I am now looking forward to.

After the show, we all went out for Okinomiyaki (my fave Japanese food) and then headed to Current. Well, me and Adrian went to Current, Kahlil went to the internet cafe and then to hotel. At Current, Yugo was DJ-ing and it was most rock. I made a lot of new friends, partied with old ones and had a really good night. A great way to finish off The Wildhearts tour. So we bailed at close to 5 am as we all needed to have an early start because...

DAY 7 meant that we were going to DISNEYLAND! Ok, I have never been to a Disneyland so I didnt really know what to expect except those tea cups that spin around. We got our trains and headed out there and had a really awesome time. I met Pluto, Goofy, Robin Hood and Friar Tuck, Mickey and Minnie, Mary Poppins, some bear that looked like he'd been smoking crack, Jimminey Cricket, plus tons more. It was a total laugh. I had one of the best days I have ever had in my life. It was just awesome. Not only was I in Japan but at fuckin' Disneyland!

We went on a heap of rides including the spinning tea cups, we saw parades, we saw the fireworks finale over Cinderella's castle, we saw the big bad wolf and the 3 pigs. We saw it all. It was an unreal time and I am still smiling from it. And not just cos I am high on painkillers. I highly recommend it.

Well I am so mega tired. Tomorrow we are off to Studio Gibley (spelling?) to see the Manga Museum. I hope you are all doing well. I miss you all.

Stay safe,
Damo

7:27 AM - 1 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment

19 Feb 2007

JAPAN Day 5
Current mood: content

Woke up at the same time this morning and realised i forgot to tell you that last night when we were at dinner, adrian and kahlil ate tongue. Yes, tongue! Kahlil also had liver and stomach. He collected the set. I didnt eat any of them. But yeah, there ya go.

Anyway, today we bought tickets for the Manga Anime museum which we are going to on Thursday. Wednesday we are still going to Disneyland. Yes! We then went to Nakano which is where this cheap CD store is that sells metal and hard rock n stuff. I bought too much stuff cos it was mega cheap. Filled in the gaps in the Wildhearts collection and also found some live bootlegs. Very happy Damo.

From there we headed somewhere to the Inoxia Records label offices. They were great and they stocked me up on all the BORIS stuff that one can handle. Awesome people and the girl who runs the label is a total legend. They are touring Australia in May and i shall attend the show in Melbourne. Awesome!

From there we headed to the gig for the next show. The set list was exactly the same and Ginger told us the reason why: they only had 2 rehersals as new bassist, Scott, is from the USA and couldnt make it to learn any more songs. Still though, Ginger decided on delivering us an extra song in the set.

What made this gig even more special is that we once again got Ginger solo with his backing band. The set was much the same as the previous one but still, there is nothing like hearing some of these tunes live. Here is the set list in its entirety:

GTT (intro)
Black Windows
Brain Sugar
Drinking In The Daytime
Why Cant You Be Normal All The Time?
Cant Drink You Pretty
When She Comes
I Wanna Be New
So Into You
Sonic Shake

Then they went off and half an hour later The Wildhearts came on...

TV Tan
Caffeine Bomb
Vanilla Radio
Sick Of Drugs
Nita Nitro
O.C.D.
Everlone
My Baby Is A Headfuck
Suckerpunch
Caprice

(Encore)
Geordie In Wonderland
29x The Pain
??? Requiem (new song)
Love U Til I Dont

After the show we hung outside mingling with other WH fans and stuff. Had a wicked time tonight. Actually the days just keep getting better. Tomorrow night is the last of the Wildhearts shows and then we got only a few days til its time to return home and start a new life.

The healing has been good and I can see new plans on the horizon. Things will be good from now on. I will turn over a whole new leaf and move forward, rid those things from my life that dragged me down. Start fresh and all that shit. This is a new beginning.

While I have been here, I have written a bunch of new songs to get started on when I return. The new band will be back on stage sooner than ever now. Things are going to work out just fine.

I hope everyone is doing well back home. If you are getting the emails, I hope you are enjoying the photos. Take care.

Love Damo
xoxox

"And just cos I'm a guy, am i supposed to buy all your bullshit?"

8:07 AM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment

18 Feb 2007

JAPAN Day 4

Woke up at 10am and Kai rocked up to the hotel about midday. We headed to Akihabra although I am not sure that the spelling of that place is correct. But it is the electric city. I found a Mil Mascaras action figure. He is a mexican wrestler, not that you care. We went to this crazy electrical supermarket that is like 8 floors high and filled with any electrical goods you can think of. It was so crazy and loud. Kahlil bought a digital camera. I bought nothing. But after that we went to Harajuku to visit Rockin Jellybeans store. He is a lowbrow artist from Japan whose artwork totally rules. If you wanna see his works, type in the name and wa-la. I bought some of his artwork which i am totally over the moon about. I will get them framed when i get back. Everyone will be happy. Yay!

After our visit to Harajuku, we headed to Ebisu to see the next Wildhearts gig. Different venue, great sound, awesome show. We were singing along to every word and just having a fuckin great time. Merch stand became my good friend again and i bought more stuff.

The set list was similar to last night except for a couple songs thrown in the encore:

TV Tan
Caffeine Bomb
Vanilla Radio
Sick Of Drugs
Nita Nitro
O.C.D.
Everlone
My Baby Is A Headfuck
Suckerpunch
Caprice

(encore)
Geordie In Wonderland (Ginger played this solo with no band. The crowd sang it. It was awesome.)
??? Requiem (a new song that was about suicide. Totally awesome song)
Love U Til I Dont

It was such a good show and I had a blast. We all did.

Anecdote: I was standing outside with everyone after the show and all of a sudden i meet a cool Japanese guy who bought a Muscle Car CD from Changesone in England. I was stoked. And heres Shamus not wanting to play in the band anymore. Dude, while I have been here I have met 2 complete strangers who said they knew Muscle Car and love our music. Fuckin gold moment and it made me happy to know that with that band, I achieved more than i thought I had. Wait til they hear the new stuff. I told this dude that Muscle Car would tour Japan and this will be a reality, with or without Shamus. I would prefer it if he did join me on stage for kickass rock n roll but the choice is his.

After the show, we went to a restuarant and had YakkiNikko. That spelling is no doubt wrong but I will send you a photo to show the group of us. It has been another great night and it really is a special holiday. The Wildhearts music has meant so much to the people that listen to it that you can travel the world and meet likeminded people and have a great conversation with them about anything rockin and they are more than happy to talk to you.

I met Sae from the Dirtrucks tonight. She is their drummer and i must say, she is without a doubt one of the coolest rockers i have ever met. She knows her music and she is so down to earth and cool.

Tomorrow we are going to Nakano which is this place that is so good, the last time i was here, i found Devin Townsends "Infinity" album for only 300 yen. After that, bust this, I have received an email from the guys who run Inoxia Records (the record label who releases albums by BORIS), they have invited me to their offices so I will be going there to meet them. Maybe I can talk them into signing Muscle Car for Japan releases. Not a bad idea at all. hahahaha

Right now it is 12:38am and it is freezing outside. But, i love Japan. This place connects with me and i connect with it. The people here are totally lovely and i have some of the best friends a guy could ever want, right here in Japan.

We have this running joke that if someone ever asks me what i am doing today, tonight, tomorrow, i keep saying "i dunno, you will have to ask my manager (referring to Kai and Yugo)". It is amusing cos people always ask me "oh, whose your manager?" as like it is a big deal and i am serious. hahahaha But really, it makes sense. Kai knows exactly what i am doing and what is best for us to see. So yeah, asking him makes things very easy for us.

Pain update - my back is totally fucked and so are my legs but the Panadeine Forte is getting me through.

Anyway, time for me to go.

Enjoy.

Love and happiness,
Damo

7:49 AM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment

17 Feb 2007

Japan Day 3

Today I got up about 10am and we headed out to Kokubunji which is a small city that has a record store that is owned by the brother of the guitarist from the MAD3. We got there early and it was cool. Eddie rocked up about 2 minutes after arriving. He is a really cool guy. Totally friendly and very into music. He is so fuckin cool that it makes me just wish that all people were like this back home. Still, i bought some stuff from his shop and then we headed to Shibuya to go to the next gig which was the first of The Wildhearts shows. The place was so packed. It was ultra hot in there. The opening band was again The Goddamn Whores and followed by Robochrist. I have never heard Robochrist before but I have chatted to the dude Chris a few times on the Wildhearts email list. His music is very Devin Townsend inspired and was just him and a guitar with a whole pile of backing noises and drum beats and stuff. Very insane and chaotic and i actually enjoyed it and i can see why people do dig it.

Following all of that, The Wildhearts hit the stage. Again, what can I say, there is a reason why i dig this band as much as i do. The set was awesome, the songs are so good and everyone was in good spirits. The songs sounded great and everyone had a blast. The crowd sang along to every word. The setlist was as follows:

TV Tan
Caffeine Bomb
Vanilla Radio
Sick Of Drugs
Nita Nitro
O.C.D.
Everlone
My Baby Is A Headfuck
Suckerpunch
Caprice

(encore)
Love U Til I Dont

It was just divine. I was in heaven. These songs made me who I am today. After the show, we headed to Current which is the rock pub and we hung out with whoever was around... that was until both CJ and Scott from the Wildhearts showed up, well all except Ritch and Ginger. Jon Poole was also there as well as Robochrist himself. Had a great chat to him about all stuff cool. He is a totally great guy. Havent much else to report but the day was cool, it is now 3:27am and my back and legs are truly fucked. But all of this is worth it. I love this music and one day you will too. Right now, you probably just havent connected with it, but when you do, you will know it.

Today we have decided that Wednesday is the day we are going to Disneyland. Yeah, totally. That reeks of awesomeness! I have never been to a place like that before so we just thought we would go and once the idea of rollercoasters was mentioned, i was pretty much sold.

In closing, I just want to say that I absolutely love this place.

Be good to each other,
Damo

10:37 AM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment

16 Feb 2007

Japan - Days 1 and 2.

Ok, it appears the emails i have sent have come out in some weird code so i am writing the entries here instead. Lets just put it this way, I am glad to be back. Everything here is great. We arrived with no problems except I didnt know where to meet Kai and Yugo and we found out there was another gate at the train station but only realised 30 mins later. Anyway, we got to the hotel and it appears our hotel is near the sleaze district which is pretty funny and no, before you ask, i havent bothered to venture there. We go past that shit everyday and keep on walkin. We went shopping big time today which has proved a few things, we have spent too much money already and we are only on the second day, and on top of that, it:s really fuckin cold here. like COLD. in capitals and everything. Kahlil has become fascinated with the surgical mask (for some reason, many Japanese people wear them), so much in fact that he bought one. Dont ask me why. Overall though, things are good, i am actually really happy here. The healing process is under way and I am welcoming the spiritual guidance with open arms. Been smiling all day and tonight was the first of the gigs we came to see.

We went to the show tonight and you would not believe how much Merch the Wildhearts have here. I am talking crazy amounts of stuff. I bought 2 shirts and a CD i didnt have. The venue isnt huge and the first of the 5 gigs was a Ginger solo show which we were told he was having a backing band for this show (when i was here in August seeing him play, there was no backing band, just him and a guitar). So we went to the venue to see just how far away it was from stuff and when we arrived, we heard Ginger soundchecking with `Black Windows` from his Yoni album. (www.myspace.com/silverginger) So we went and had an iced chocolate and killed some time. Also went to Tower Records where i saw that the new Puffy CD is on sale. Yeah, I am a huge geek for this band. Please don:t tell everyone. Its a power pop thing.

We got to the venue at 6:30 and stood in line and waited for Yugo and Kai to show up. They got there, we showed our tickets and walked in. Not long and the first band came on. They were the Goddamn Whores. Punk stuff that had some melodic elements. They werent bad, not outstanding but they were ok. I did enjoy the tunes but I like the recorded album a lot more than the live stuff. They played for about 30 minutes and then Ginger came on to the tune of GTT off his Valor Del Corazon album. Guess who was front row? Yeah, fuckin rock! This solo gig was amazing. And I mean truly amazing. I will write the set list in a sec but yeah, a great gig. It all blended so well together. Gingers son, Jake, was at the show and dancing on stage and giving people the metal sign and stealing Gingers microphone. Was pretty funny. Let me just write out the set list for those keeping count at home:

-G.T.T. (intro)
-Black Windows
-Yeah Yeah Yeah
-Brain Sugar
-Drinking In The Daytime
-Cant Drink You Pretty
-So Into You
-I Wanna Go Where The People Go
-The Night I Was Born Again
-Eager To Leave Her
-I Wanna Be New
-Why Cant You Be Normal All The Time?
-When She Comes

(encore)
-Answering Machine
-??? - I know the song but cant remember the title which sucks cos it was a cover and Ginger dedicated the song to me. Bah!
-Sonic Shake

It was just awesome. A perfect selection of songs and was so good to hear those songs live. If you are yet to connect with Gingers music, feel free to pester me into giving you a listen to his work.

After the gig, we bought merch and headed outside and who should be there? CJ from the Wildhearts was standing outside. Yugo introduced me and we hit it off. He is a fuckin great guy! So great that he invited me and Kahlil out to have dinner with he and his wife and Yugo and Kai and Haruna. Awesome! So we went out and ate curry and nan bread. This wont mean shit to any of you but to me it was a big deal. CJ was the coolest dude. He was just so fun to hang out with and we had wicked conversations about the most bizarre of topics. I was so stoked. CJ was / is awesome. After the dinner, we all went to a pub for a drink and then we parted ways and me and Kahlil headed to this place to detail the days events.

So that is the scoop thus far. Tomorrow we are going to a record store in Kokubunji to meet up with Eddie Legend from the band, MAD3 (www.myspace.com/mad3tokyo) which is gonna be great cos he seems like a really cool guy and his band rules. He is one of the best guitarists I have ever heard as well. After that, we are going to the first of the Wildhearts gigs. CJ gave us a hint of what to expect in the set list. I wont tell you but will give you the full scoop in order later on. After that, we are going to Current which is the rock bar that Yugo sometimes DJs at. Well, I think we may go there. I really dont know. We will be doing something though. Going to the after shows or something. All rock!

I am going now... have fun, be ok and look after one another.

Love, peace, honesty and strength.
Damo.
blackdeathcrew

Postby pete » 23rd Feb 07, 12:23

mate many thanks for that i'm sure he (Damo) wouldnt mind
Put 'em in lights, put 'em in lights
pete

Postby Ben Wright » 23rd Feb 07, 19:50

Cheers for writing that Damo and to the other guy for sticking it up on here!
Ben Wright

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat