The narrative at the end of "In Like Flynn"

Albums, singles, songs and general Wildhearts banter

The narrative at the end of "In Like Flynn"

Postby seventieslord » 22nd Nov 07, 09:21

I'd really like to know, word for word, what the blurb at the end of "in like flynn" says. This is what I have, but I know a couple parts aren't perfect... Parts in bold, I am not 100% sure of, but feel free to give any input on the rest too.

…And after spending a day on the streets, he could expect his greeting answered by a barrage of curses, for no apparent reason at all. Tuners in were utterly fascinated, completely enthralled by the language, and that was a remarkable fact considering that Mr. Sweet was admired by frankly nobody else for Mr. Sweet was anything but sweet, and thus the world came to love a grumpy old man. They were insufficiently glorious needed to redeem their honour or to mitigate the negative side effects of his… his poisonous personality. But guess what? Once upon a time there was a bitter man named Sweet. Perhaps the greatest philologist, phonetician, the greatest language expert in the world. For weeks thereafter, Georgie walked around in an idologist daze, the brilliant but sour Mr. Sweet died of pernicious anemia, and this entropic scholar had to enjoy his newfound admiration, from his grave.
seventieslord

Postby beerofthedark » 22nd Nov 07, 16:03

Off the top of my head it's "an idolatrous daze" and "misanthropic scholar". You're right with the "pernicious" and I can't remember the other bit.
"I have a barrel of opinions
lonely, lonely
I am everlone, everlone"
beerofthedark

Postby Ean » 22nd Nov 07, 17:05

I think you're pretty close. It sounds like it's been cherry picked from a larger text and splits into three bits I think. The middle section is definitely describing whatever works the guy wrote rather than the person/people mentioned earlier.

I don't think either of us quite has the first line right, but i can't remove the 'boing' enough to hear it better...

"And apart from spending a day on the streets, he could expect his greeting answered by a barrage of curses, for no apparent reason at all. Two men were utterly fascinated, completely enthralled by the language, and that was the remarkable fact considering that Mr. Sweet was admired by practically nobody else for Mr. Sweet was anything but sweet, and thus the world came to love a grumpy old man.

They were insufficiently glorious either to redeem their author or to mitigate the self-destructive side effects of his… his poisonous personality.

But guess what? Once upon a time there was a bitter man named Sweet. Perhaps the greatest philologist and phonetician: the greatest language expert in the world. For weeks thereafter, Georgie walked about in an idolatrous daze, the brilliant but sour Mr. Sweet died of pernicious anaemia, the misanthropic scholar had to enjoy his newfound admiration, from his grave."

It's mentioned in an Ask Ginger :-

Q. At the end of your song In Like Flynn there's someone talking, but I can't make head nor tail of what they're on about. I was wondering whether you could shed some light on this. Also, is Friend For Five minutes about anyone in particular?

Lee & Nat

A.It's a guy who talks on Japanese radio. We just liked his voice, so we ripped it off. Since then I've become a bit of a fan and listen to him every time I'm in Tokyo. He mentions the life of the real Henry Higgins and talks about him "walking around in an idolatrous [look it up] daze". Pete and Chris from (the very new at the time) 3 Colours Red attended the studio when we recorded the song (Pete's favourite, by the way) and the next day sent me a 'Happy Idolatrous Day' card.

Friend for Five Minutes is about cocaine.
Ean Ü

"I have to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff... she's going to be very upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."
Ean

Postby seventieslord » 23rd Nov 07, 16:33

Thanks for the tips, fellas, I like all those words better than what I had.

The "entropic scholar" part, I was so fixated on the "entropic" that I didn't think that the word preceding it could be part of it. I always took for granted that it was "this XXXXX scholar"

Has anyone ever thought that this was a bit of an attempt at a prophecy? That maybe this was thrown in there almost as a prediction, that the Wildhearts won't get their "due" until long after they are gone?
seventieslord

Re: The narrative at the end of "In Like Flynn"

Postby savillelaforge » 23rd Sep 21, 07:27

Really amazing article. Please keep sharing this kind of article with us. I was reading resume prime reviews, I need their help to write the best review. And while reading about it, I am glad that I found your post.
savillelaforge

Return to Wildhearts Music and General Chat