The NFL spent a lot of time and effort in the offseason simp

Albums, singles, songs and general Ginger banter

The NFL spent a lot of time and effort in the offseason simp

Postby zhangzk » 11th Jan 19, 04:25

Blunders Youth Bruce Ellington Jersey , however, are here to stay.Take Rob Gronkowski's spectacular 28-yard catch between two Texans defenders 鈥?which maybe wasn't really a catch 鈥?that set up a touchdown in the final seconds of the first half, giving the Patriots a 21-6 lead on their way to a 27-20 victory Sunday.The catch stood as called, not because NFL headquarters confirmed the reception upon review, but because the league didn't buzz the officials on the field fast enough to stop the next snap so they could further scrutinize Gronk's grab."New York did get back to us," referee Tony Corrente said. "However, unfortunately, they didn't get the game officials on the field until after the (next) play had already started."Crucially, the catch/non-catch stood as called.Houston coach Bill O'Brien, who would have been penalized for throwing his red challenge flag inside the 2-minute warning, could have called timeout to allow the league office more time. But he said he didn't have a good view of the play himself.Anyway, the clock was running and O'Brien figured the Texans could hold New England to a field goal.They couldn't.Tom Brady threw a 14-yard TD pass with 23 seconds left.O'Brien said Monday he thinks it was indeed a catch by Gronkowski."On the coach's film, I really do," O'Brien said. "He went up; he caught it; he kept both hands underneath it. Now relative to some TV angles and some other video angles that I've seen, maybe it was questionable. From the coach's vantage point on the coach's tape, it looked like a catch to me."We'll never know what Al Riveron, the NFL's senior vice president of officiating, would have ruled.SEATTLE SLOWSeahawks coach Pete Carroll was slow on the draw in Denver after Broncos rookie running back Royce Freeman put the ball on the ground for an apparent fumble Sunday. But just like Brady in Foxborough, Case Keenum hustled up to the line and the Broncos got the next snap off quickly."They were going fast and I had a couple of seconds to throw it and I've got to find an official http://www.texansauthorizedshops.com/authentic-ka_imi-fairbairn-jersey ," Carroll explained after Seattle's 27-24 loss. "I threw it, but he said it was too late to call it, which I'm sure he was right about that. I just needed to respond a little bit faster. I didn't hear the word from upstairs as quickly as I needed to get it executed before they hurried up."That's how the hurry-up does help you once in a while."Or hurt you.FLAG FOOTBALLThere were 26 penalties enforced in the NFL opener between the Eagles and Falcons to go with offsetting penalties on a Philadelphia punt in the fourth quarter.Eagles coach Doug Pederson, however, is convinced the officials accidentally called a foul on them when it was actually on Atlanta.The officials called holding on No. 39 of the Eagles even though there wasn't anyone on the field for Philly wearing that number. Replays showed that No. 39 on the Falcons, Deante Burton, committed holding.OUT OF SIGHT ...Seattle six-time Pro Bowl safety Earl Thomas ended his holdout last week after his pay-me-or-trade-me demands were ignored by the Seahawks. He had an interception that set up Seattle's first touchdown of the season.Two-time Pro Bowl running back Le'Veon Bell stayed away from the Pittsburgh Steelers amid public criticism from some of his own offensive linemen. And his replacement starred.By reporting to the Seahawks last week, albeit begrudgingly, Thomas assured he won't miss out on his roughly $500,000 weekly paychecks, although he still wants more than the $8.5 million he'll make in 2018, in the final year of his contract."During the game I'm not thinking about it," Thomas said. "I'm out here having fun with B-Mac (safety Bradley McDougald) and the guys. So, I'm not thinking about it. When I get asked about it, it definitely runs across my mind."Bell's contract dispute triggered teammates to turn on him last week, when center Maurkice Pouncey said, "Honestly it's a little selfish. I'm kind of (ticked) right now. It sucks that he's not here. We'll move on as a team."That, they did.On a day quarterback Ben Roethlisberger struggled throwing three interceptions and fumbling twice, Bell's sub D.J. Reader Jersey , James Conner, was steady, scoring two touchdowns, rushing for 135 yards and adding 57 more on five catches as the Steelers escaped Cleveland with a 21-21 tie.His 192 total yards matched Bell's best game from last season."I'm so tired of Le'Veon," Steelers right guard David DeCastro told reporters. "I'm so tired of it. Let's just worry about the guys that are here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le'Veon, but we have to worry about the guys that are here. That's the only people that matter."TWITTER TROLLDez Bryant is no longer with the Dallas Cowboys, but on Sunday his thoughts sure were .The free-agent wide receiver called out his former team with a series of critical tweets as the Cowboys lost their opener, 16-8 at Carolina.Bryant was released in April after eight seasons with the team and remains unsigned.When one fan asked Bryant to have his agent call Cowboys owner Jerry Jones so Dallas could re-sign him, the three-time Pro Bowl selection said he could be a good fit in New England or with the Cowboys' NFC East rivals in Washington.Image
Learning that Jones left the locker room quickly without comment as most reporters were interviewing running back Ezekiel Elliott, Bryant responded, "I love Jerry ,""I honestly don't think HE wanted me gone so I feel his pain," Bryant wrote.AP Sports Writer Tom Withers contributed to this report. The Houston Texans waited 10 months to celebrate a victory.So when Sunday's wild game ended, they let it all out.Players mobbed kicker Ka'imi Fairbairn after he made a 37-yard field goal in overtime, jumping up and down before leaving Indianapolis with a wild 37-34 victory to end the league's longest losing streak at nine."We're all happy about it, no doubt," linebacker Whitney Mercilus said. "We finally got a 'W' after being 0-3 for a while. So, I think things are starting to click. Starting to play some complementary football. And so, that's where this momentum is."It's wasn't just three games.Houston (1-3) hadn't won since Nov. 19 Authentic Christian Covington Jersey , hadn't won on the road since Sept. 14, 2017, and couldn't even beat the Colts last season without Andrew Luck.This season, the frustration grew as they lost at New England by seven, at Tennessee by three and at home to the New York Giants by five. Then Sunday, they blew a 28-7 lead to Luck's Colts and two more chances to win 鈥?on Fairbairn's 59-yard field goal on the second-to-last play and on their first possession of overtime when a strong drive stalled and Fairbairn made a 29-yard field goal to tie the score at 31 with 1:50 to play.And just when it appeared Houston's winless streak might continue, the Colts went for the win on fourth-and-4 from their 43-yard line. The Texans got the stop they needed and three plays later, Fairbairn made the winning kick 鈥?after Indy called timeout just before he missed the kick wide right."It took longer than it needed to," defensive end J.J. Watt said after recording two more sacks to give him 80 in his career. "Very, very tiring, but we found a way. It's a wild game, there at the end and there was a whole lot going on. Man, I respect their decision to go for it there at the end, go for the win instead of the tie."Indy (1-3) has lost two straight and all three losses came with the Colts having chances to take the lead in the final 2 minutes.They've just kept coming up short."We've got to execute. I've got to play better," Luck said. "I've got to throw a better ball. We all know where we have to improve."IN SYNCDeshaun Watson and his receivers certainly were in sync Sunday.Watson was 29 of 42 with 375 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. He also ran six times for 41 yards and his first rushing TD of the season.Hopkins caught 10 passes for 169 yards and one score while Keke Coutee broke Andre Johnson's franchise record for receptions in an NFL debut. Coutee caught 11 passes for 109 yards. Johnson caught six passes in his first game.SHORT-TERM PROBLEMThe Colts initially lined up for their fourth-down play to try and draw Houston offside. When they didn't, Indy called timeout and coach Frank Reich made the decision to go for the first down and the win with a short, seemingly safe pass on fourth-and-4.But Luck was missing his favorite target, T.Y. Hilton Youth Tyrann Mathieu Jersey , who was out with a hamstring injury, and his pass was too low for Chester Rogers.The bigger problem is that Indy now visits New England on Thursday, presumably without Hilton."Probably not, probably not good, I mean with the hamstring on a short week," Reich said.DEFNSIVE TURNAROUNDHouston's trademark defense also appears to have been rejuvenated. The Texans finished with four sacks against Luck and forced him to fumble twice, recovering one. Jadeveon Clowney scored his second career touchdown by recovering a fumble in the end zone on a botched snap from center Ryan Kelly.Indy had only 107 yards in the first half, 40 coming on Hilton's first catch.While Luck led the Colts back from a 28-7 deficit to force overtime and Indy took a 34-31 lead on Adam Vinatieri's 44-yard field goal, the defense stiffened one last time when Houston needed it most.MILESTONE DAYVinatieri became the NFL's career leader in field goals when he made a 42-yarder with 2 seconds left in the first half to make it 21-10. Hall of Famer Morten Andersen held the previous mark at 565.Vinatieri extended the record to 567 with his overtime field goal and now heads back to New England, where he started his career, needing one field-goal attempt to move past Gary Anderson for No. 2 all-time. He also needs 26 points to break Morten Andersen's career scoring record (2,544).But he would have preferred extending his league record for victories (226)."It's weird, you know, you come off a loss and it doesn't feel quite the same way," he said. "I'm sure I'll look back at in years to come and it will be pretty special."
zhangzk

Return to Ginger Music and General Chat